]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  January 2013, Week 4

MEDLIB-L January 2013, Week 4

Re: MEDLIB-L Digest - 22 Jan 2013 to 23 Jan 2013 (#2013-22)

"Bartoli, Diane (ELS-PHI)" <[log in to unmask]>

Bartoli, Diane (ELS-PHI)

Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:25:27 +0000

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for being one of the first ClinicalKey subscribers
and for sharing your experience along the way.
Feedback like yours is vitally important to continually improving
Elsevier products, especially the newly launched ClinicalKey.
Your recent post provides an opportunity for us to share some
of the enhancements coming to ClinicalKey that should resolve the concerns
you
raise and also to address some open questions about ClinicalKey in
general.

Book Comparison of MD Consult and ClinicalKey
When it came to the inclusion of content on ClinicalKey, we
wanted to ensure that MD Consult customers would see an improvement from
their
current content access in terms of breadth, depth and quality of content,
with
the ultimate goal being to provide quality answers to virtually any
clinical
question.  For that reason, we¹ve added
hundreds of additional book titles, as well as journal titles, that have
never
been made available in an electronic clinical product before.
That said, only 93% of the titles on MD Consult were chosen
for inclusion in ClinicalKey.  There are
9 titles from MD Consult that will not make the leap to ClinicalKey
because we
felt they did not meet our standard for current, premium clinical content.
In
each case, we chose replacement titles that provide more current,
equivalent and/or
superior topic coverage.  For example,
Khatri¹s Operative Surgery Manual (2003) was replaced with Khatri¹s Atlas
of
Advanced Operative Surgery (2012). We have a complete list of the 9 titles
and their replacements in ClinicalKey available if anyone should like the
information (but wanted to keep the note relatively brief for the
listserv!.

tive Surgery, 1st ed. - 2012

Book PDFs
When the PDF log-in feature was first released, we received
a lot of feedback from users about its functionality.  As a result of that
feedback, we modified the
requirement, as you noted, so that PDFs of journal articles were freely
available and book search results took you directly to the html of the
chapter
with an option to download the PDF, making it clearer to users they could
get
the html version without logging in.
For most customers, we found this alleviated their main
concerns and, in fact, since making that change the downloading of PDF book
chapters from ClinicalKey has increased dramatically even while taking
into account
the significant number of new subscribers that became active in Q4 of last
year.  We had our own concerns about how
the log-in requirement would affect PDF usage, but the actual usage stats
tell
us that the requirement hasn¹t become an impediment to legitimate
ClinicalKey
use.  If you¹d like to get a snapshot of
the PDF download activity at Cleveland Clinic in particular, we¹re happy
to provide
This.

Book Title A-Z Formatting
From the beginning, the focus on ClinicalKey was enhancing
the search functionality so clinicians could find the answers they need
quickly.  As a result, we¹re still
working on some of the formatting issues you noted.  I¹m happy to say that
all of the formatting
issues seen in various browsers with regards to the book titles will be
addressed
in an upcoming release of ClinicalKey slated for next month.
Book title and author
search
With the initial focus on search, the browsing of books is
something that we¹re still working to enhance.
In a future product release planned for Q2, you¹ll see an enhanced
author and title search function added to ClinicalKey which will allow
users to
search in this way.

First Consult
Finally, thank you for mentioning the First Consult
app.  First Consult is one of the most
important content types available in ClinicalKey for physicians at the
point of
care.  As you mentioned, the First Consult app can still be found on the
iTunes store, and can be accessed with a
valid MD Consult, First Consult, or ClinicalKey log in.
When it comes to finding First Consult monographs within ClinicalKey
itself, we¹ve prioritized First Consult in our search algorithms so
that these results nearly always appear first when a monograph is
available on
the search query topic, making no additional filtering necessary. Of
course,
the filtering option can always be used to find related First Consult
monographs within any query.

Finally, since mobile was mentioned, please know that ClinicalKey can be
accessed on any mobile device today, but we¹ll also be unveiling a mobile
optimized version of the product in the near future. We¹ll provide more
details on that as soon as
it¹s available.

Again, I want to thank you for sharing your views on MD
Consult and ClinicalKey.  First and foremost, ClinicalKey remains a
clinical insight engine, so we¹re keenly
focused on creating a resource that gives physicians the fastest path to
the clinical
answers they need. Thank you again for bringing ClinicalKey to the
physicians,
surgeons, and staff of the Cleveland Clinic, and we look forward to your
continued feedback.

Sincerely,
Diane Bartoli
VP, Global Product Development