http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040201/ap_on_sc/birds_clear_danger_1

Yahoo! News - Expert Says Glass Is Major Threat to Birds
Welcome, Guest Personalize News Home Page   -   Sign In
Yahoo! News   Mon, Feb 02, 2004
Most Popular
Weather
Audio/Video
Full Coverage

More about
Animals & Insects
Related News Stories
50 Pelicans Killed in Florida AP via Yahoo! News (Feb 2, 2004)
Football festival aids elephants at BBC (Feb 2, 2004)
Expert Says Glass Is Major Threat to Birds AP via Yahoo! News (Feb 1, 2004)
Opinion & Editorials
Instill Hefty Dose of Fear Into Wild Mountain Lions at LA Times (registration req'd) (Jan 17, 2004)
Technology moves faster than regulators at USA TODAY (Dec 29, 2003)
Feature Articles
Bald Eagle Watching a Big U.S. Draw Reuters via Yahoo! News (Jan 30, 2004)
Painkiller in cattle drives Indian vultures to brink of extinction at The Independent (UK) (Jan 29, 2004)
Related Web Sites
Animal Diversity Web
Yahoo! Pets
National Zoo

News Resources
Providers
· Reuters
· Space.com
· AFP
· AP
· CP
Services
·Daily Emails
·Free News Alerts
 News via RSS

Science - AP
Expert Says Glass Is Major Threat to Birds
AP
Sun Feb 1, 2:19 PM ET
Add Science - AP to My Yahoo!

By JOANN LOVIGLIO, Associated Press Writer

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - Daniel Klem Jr. cradles a small, dead bird with chestnut-mottled wings, another victim of what he says is a largely unrecognized environmental hazard that kills birds in flight.

Store Anything
You can't afford to scrimp on storage. Here's how to store anything, plus top 10 hard drives and external storage options.

The culprit is the plate glass used in windows, skyscrapers and other structures, which the birds strike because they cannot see it.

"Glass is ubiquitous and it's indiscriminate, killing the fit and the unfit," said Klem, a Muhlenberg College ornithologist who estimates that collisions with glass kill up to 1 billion birds a year in the United States alone.

"Buildings that we have created to be aesthetically pleasing are slaughtering birds."

Although cell phone towers, oil spills and power lines raise the ire of conservation groups, those hazards pale in comparison to glass, Klem said. He estimates that only habitat destruction kills more birds.

When glass is clear, birds see only what's on the other side; when it is reflective, birds see only reflected sky and trees. Either way, they have little chance of survival.

Despite three decades of work and research, Klem has had a hard time getting people in the conservation community and the building industry to hear his call.

Klem has monitored houses and commercial buildings and counted the number of dead birds, then compared the collision rates of plain glass to glass altered with visible patterns so it's not strictly clear or reflective.

He has monitored glass-skinned skyscrapers that he says kill 200 birds every day and suburban dwellings that he said are just as lethal when taken in total. And he says that glass-walled structures abound even in places that rejoice in wildlife — from Central and South American ecotourism sites to Pennsylvania wildlife refuges.

"If what I've found out over the last 30 years is true, then it's not going to get better, it's going to increase," he said. "Whether people ignore me or not, it doesn't change that."

His work is starting to get some recognition.

"This is a largely unseen but seriously unappreciated phenomenon and we're starting to take a serious look at it," said Frank Gill, chief scientist for the National Audubon Society.

Carr Everbach, a Swarthmore College engineer heading a "green team" working on a new science center at the school, likens plate glass to other scientific advancements later found to harm the environment, such as ozone-depleting CFCs and leaded gasoline.

"Anytime someone tells you there's something really big that you haven't heard of, you think they're crazy," he said.

The new science center will have glass etched with dots and other patterns, which the green team hopes birds will see and avoid. The building also will have clear glass and "thump sensors" to see if — and where — birds strike the structure.

A new observation tower at Niagara Falls State Park also was designed with birds in mind. Original plans called for reflective glass but after architects and park officials were told of Klem's work, glass with a stripe pattern was used, said Thomas B. Lyons, New York State Office of Parks' director of environmental management.

It's not clear whether these efforts will save birds. But Klem said he's heartened about the new interest in bird-friendly buildings.

"The heart of this is to get a piece of glass that will solve this problem. We can't say that we have that yet," he said. "But I'm more encouraged than ever that we can come up with a solution that will stop this senseless slaughter of wildlife."

___

On the Net:

Muhlenberg College: http://www.muhlenberg.edu

Swarthmore University: http://sciencecenter.swarthmore.edu

Mail to Friend  Email Story
Message Boards   Post/Read Msgs (369)
Printer Version   Print Story
Ratings: Would you recommend this story?
Not at all 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Highly

Special Feature

Store Anything
You can't afford to scrimp--get the hard facts on hard drives

Next Story: Two New 'Superheavy' Elements Reported  (AP)

More Science Stories
· Lunar Land Grab: Celestial Real Estate Sales Soar  (SPACE.com)
· Mars rover ready to work again  (AFP)
· Second Mars Rover Sends Panoramic Photo   (AP)
· Rover Opportunity Focuses on Mars Rocks, Soil  (Reuters)
· Twin Mars Rovers Signal New Age Of Exploration  (SPACE.com)

Degrees in Education
Online Graduate Degrees in Education
Browse All Education Degree and Certificate Programs
from Yahoo! Education

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback