Thanks for some of the private replies to this thread also expressing concern about this situation.

This gets curiouser and curiouser!

In our OPAC holdings, we list 11 Dove Medical Press titles, including the journal, International Journal of General Medicine (IJGM) that Amy Bishop published in (listing family members as coauthors).

To my dismay, several of the journal titles were indexed in reputable databases.  10 of the 11 are indexed in Embase (including IJGM; this is, however, the only major index that IJGM is included in). Six are indexed in CAS. Three are indexed in Medline. One is indexed in PsychInfo. Elsevier (database not specified) and Scopus were also mentioned in several of the journals information pages.
So what's a librarian to do??.......

Does anyone know a contact at NLM who would be willing to investigate this further (at least investigate the Dove journal titles indexed in Medline) to determine if this situation is just a rotten article/journal, or if there is a much bigger problem to consider with this entire publishing house.  Obviously I don't have the clout or time to take this much further.

And I still have to decide to keep or delete from our OPAC/Periodicals List... do I really want to delete journals indexed in Medline, etc?!

-Beth

Beth M. Transue
Librarian/Collection Development Coordinator
Messiah College
Facebook
AIM: MessiahLibrarian, BoolibMessiah
http://www.messiah.edu/murraylibrary/
717-691-6006 x3810
One Grantham Ave, PO Box 3002, Grantham, PA 17027

>>> Beth Transue <[log in to unmask]> 2/23/2010 4:29 PM >>>
Has anyone else come across the New York Times article about Amy Bishop and why she was denied tenure?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/us/21science.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

She was published in the International Journal of General Medicine.  This is a journal published by Dove Medical Press. NYT characterized this publisher as a vanity press. The 'co-authors' listed in her article were her minor children and husband.
http://www.dovepress.com/effects-of-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors-on-motor-neuron-sur-peer-reviewed-article-IJGM

In the information about the journal, the editors state that they don't reject anyone for "space" and they have a very fast peer review turnaround time of about one month to publication.
http://www.dovepress.com/why_publish_with_dove.php

Making this situation more complicated is that the publisher is a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association, which also lists members such as BioMed Central, BMJ Group, Oxford University Press, and Sage.  It isn't clear to me how Dove became a member of this association, given their review practices, especially in comparison with these other reputable publishers.
http://www.oaspa.org/members.php

Unfortunately, this journal is currently listed in our library holdings because it is part of the EBSCO Open Access holdings list.  Students therefore would have no initial reason to question 'peer-reviewed' articles from this publisher.

Has anyone on this list had any experience with this publisher or journal?  Do you have it listed in your holdings?  Do you plan to remove it from your holdings lists?  We are considering removing all journals from this publisher from our holdings, and I was wondering about what other libraries might be doing.