Daryl Deprey 860-384-0334
it's all been done. remember the barenaked ladies?
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ian Sullivan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=UVMCYCLING;6IXSwA;20070404164027-0500--On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM, William Dugan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
What I'd venture to say is the possibility that all of the once-newcomers that are becoming seasoned vets have been so enveloped in the culture of the cycling team since their arrival that those events that once seemed novel and disturbing are now habit and maybe mundane. you might be experiencing desensitization. we've all been there. when i got to uvm, people used to say "this isn't nearly as bad as the stuff we used to do." i didn't understand. then after a couple of years i found myself repeating the same words. but SHAME! these are a result of looking "from" the awesome club's mentality that you once had trouble looking upon!don't you see? it is a cycle that gets passed on for generations. it's an anomaly that reinforces its significance!we are uvm cycling and nobody can fuck with that.sonic boom.will--On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Alexander Ramsey Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Listen up here,
In the last 4 years that I've been here I've heard more horseshit about "declines", "not what it used to bes", how we're "less fun", and how UVM has "strayed" from its path of waging glory and freedom all up and down the East Coast.
You know what I say to that? All you haters, suck my balls.
UVM may not be the same as it was in years past with thousands of group rides going off all the time and antics that cause other teams to avert their eyes, children to cry, and Owen Pope to have to knock on doors when he moves to new neighborhoods, BUT I'd say that our current generation has had a pretty solid track record of:
A.) Crushing souls
B.) being super euro-gay
D.) Blasting Techno/Electronic/Club banging/hiphop/rap/deathmetal/hardcore music
Let me put some of the most memorable portions of my last 4 years on the record for yinz guys:
1. Proms, nuff said, especially this past years one, which the DHers made happen like it was their JOBS.
2. This years MTB Race where road/MTB duders showed up and helped make the best/biggest/baddest event the ECCC has had in a while.
3. Slim's guided tour of Vassar at easterns '07
4. Retro sunglasses, rollerblades, cutoff jean shorts, sketchy facial hair
5. Will Dugan Chainsmoking prior to housing the Men's A field in the Eastern's crit last year, or any of the last 3 years that I've known him for that matter.
6. Colin Jaskiewicz. Man, myth, legend, enigma, bain of Mark Abramson's existence, nasly, partial to couches. For example: cake thrown in the face of Dartmouth while on the podium at Easterns in '07.
7. Offensive Vans, and the fact that girls will sit and listen to Vinnie in the offensive van for 12 hours and still come back next week.
8. Big, white, windowless vans with "FREE CANDY" written on the side of them.
9. Mount Philo Road Race last year? That was the biggest shitshow EVER. People still tell me how much they hate to love to love to hate it. And how they hate me for making a RR course 1/3 dirt. HTFU.
10. Certain graduated teammates leaving certain fecal matter in food containers in UNH's van.
11. Eastern's at Dartmouth in '08. That weekend singlehandedly caused us to be nearly expelled from the ECCC. Potato cannons, airsoft guns, Pete Emerson. A nearly lethal combination.
12. Pipe smoking prior to racing at Philly's "Road Race" that became a "Crit" due to a hurricane coming through.
13. Dragonforce, Demons and Wizards, Justice, Daft Punk, E603, Girltalk, White Panda, TPAIN, Young Weezy, Jay Z etc. etc. etc. The music pretty much has made every weekend since I came to UVM.
14. Bums. They seem to find UVM wherever it goes. Whether they're peeing on our van at easterns at Vassar, telling us the untold FACTUAL stories of Bob Dylan in Fort Collins, A sherpa doing crazy Tibetan karate moves in the middle of the night or explaining to Marshall at 2 AM how John D. Rockafeller abducted him, stole all of his organs, turned them inside out, and put them back into his body. You can't make this shit up.
15. Trailer Dance parties. What weekend hasn't this happened at?
16. Corrupting each new incoming generation of UVM Cycling. I know this happened to me thanks to the dynamic Coleman/Howe duo. Vinnie has done a great job of breaking down everyone. Inevitably each person shows up their first year to the team thinking they'll be the next Dan Cassidy, gets their shit kicked in, and they get better. And by better I mean more offensive and ridiculous.
17. Any of the parties that have happened at a cyclist's house in Redstone Apartments in the last 3 years... for example: "Guy's! Someone, not me, threw eggs at the neighbors. I threw eggs at the neighbors."
18. Winning the Bike. Not personally, but just knowing the significance.
19. Virgin Stories at Chez Karl von Chebotstien's
20. And last but certainly not least, being a part of the nationals team last year. I relive the moments from that race/weekend, no lie, every day.
These are just some of the more memorable times I've had here, but the list could go on and on.
What I'm trying to get across here is every team has its ups and downs. Yeah, maybe there aren't as many groups rides, maybe we aren't being as offensive as in the past. Whatever. I'd argue that everyone on the team now is more of a team than I've ever seen in my time here, both in and out of racing.
But on that note, I'd say another euro ride is in order soon. Lee and I will figure it out.
William A. Dugan
Team Type 1
Ian C. Sullivan (Sully)
[log in to unmask]
Catamount Family Center
Co-Director of Camp Programs
William A. Dugan
Team Type 1