I have to agree with Virginia. We have been using Rediker and Grade Quick for at least 12 years and the support is amazing. It is a very reliable SIS. Edline and Grade Quick Web, has been in our district for a few years, reception has been going well. Parents love the progress reports. At our High School they go to all students, frequently, not just those under at risk. This has been such a great opportunity for students to have real ownership in what is shaping their class performance. Fantastic results when they have inclusion.
ARSU District Information Technology Coordinator
Email: [log in to unmask]
Office Phone: 802-265-4905
Cell Phone: 802-236-2498
From: Virginia Grey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Edline
You know I would never argue with you, but I will say that in regard to the comments piece, that is now available and works great. I have always had fantastic tech support from Rediker, Edline and GradeQuick, and have found they are all willing to cross lines to help, if necessary. The reports are canned, but if a teacher wants to get creative, they can make their own. As for Linux, as usual....you are right! [cid:[log in to unmask]]
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Bjorn Behrendt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have used it in 2 different schools and I don't like it (it was in place before me).
* Good support (but keep the number handy, especially at the beginning of the year)
* Easy to enter grades
* Centralized management (if you get rediker also)
* Parent Portal
* No way to add a comment to a grade ~ If a teacher gives a bad grade, they will get a call from the parent asking why. I would have loved to be able to say "talking in class", or "misunderstood xyz"
* The class website/assignment page just sucks to use.
* Progress reports:
* Teachers have to choose from 100 canned responses and can't enter their own.
* The progress report comment doesn't get saved, but rater replaced at every report. ~ i cant go back and see what i typed at the beginning of the year unless i have a paper copy.
* The connection with rediker is not a live connection but an import export function that needs to be either done manually or set to a schedule.
* The webbased version is not really webbased, but a link to a setup program (windows & Mac only, no Linux option), that needs to be installed on every computer.
* The webbased Rediker is a Remote Desktop connection to their windows server.
* Support for Rediker and Edline are separate and knowing who is responsible a problem is has been an issue.
The lack of grade comments and the progress report process are my biggest grips about edline.
IT Coordinator for Mount St. Joseph
Google Apps For Education Certified Trainer
[log in to unmask]
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Donahue, Brucie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We are thinking about using Edline for our school communication portal. I'm looking for comment from the field about experiences you may have had with them. Who else is using it? You can reply on or off list.
Thanks for the Apps info!
Brucie K. Donahue
Northfield School District
[log in to unmask]
District Technology Coordinator
Rutland South Supervisory Union
(802) 775-3451 x 279 vm
(802) 236-4705 cell
WARNING: This email may contain information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If this email contains confidential and/or privileged student or health information and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA or HIPAA, federal regulations require that you destroy this email without reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.