FARMCOLLIE Archives

December 2015

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Carole Presberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2015 14:23:48 -0500
Hi Kristine,

I agree with Lois. I was about your age when I began "farming". My
situation was similar, with a caring husband who had no interest in
farming. I had no kids. We started out with a 4 acre farm, and 12 years
later, when my husband needed to transfer to Ithaca, NY for work, we
bought a 40 acre farm, of which we probably used about 10 acres, if
that. I raised sheep for 20 years. There is no money in farming. If your
husband can work and bring in a salary, maybe your farm might cover the
ordinary expenses for the household. It certainly will not pay the
mortgage.

Also, I wreaked damage on my skeletal system. Since my husband worked
full time all the farm chores were up to me. Feeding, watering, etc.,
was no problem, but fencing was. Pounding posts did my shoulders in. If
you love your animals, the cost is prohibitive. Vet bills, feed, hay in
winter, possibly the farrier, the shearer, and so forth. Not that I
regret it, and not that I am not still doing it, but I advise you to
start small. Learn what you are capable of. The house, barns and
property you are contemplating sounds like a losing proposition, and to
the bargain the owner is rushing you through it. Do you actually know
this man? Can you get a professional inspection of the property?

Carole