FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Mary O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:20:18 EDT
In a message dated 7/18/2005 9:12:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I just noticed today that Shannon has flat topped fangs &we were wondering
> if her previous owner had this done to her (maybe by a vet), if she tried to
> chew out of a crate or something &messed up her fangs that way or if this
> was something natural to Collies, so anyone have any ideas/theories?

Most of the time this type of wear is the result of  a dog chewing on an
abrasive material over several years. One of the main culprits is a tennis ball.
The material that covers the ball is extremely abrasive.  If Shannon is a big
tennis ball lover, that may be your answer.  One of my border collies that I
adopted when he was five years old had completely flattened the tips of his
canines pursuing his favorite hobby...tennis ball fetching and chewing.  My
friend's BC also has flattened his canines in the same way.

MaryO