FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Gwyn Diddally <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:02:58 -0400
>But I
>don't know the first thing about contract law so I'd better be talking to
>lawyers.

Me either, really.  I'm thinking it must be enforcable though, since Humane
Societies do make you sign such a spay/neuter contract when you adopt an
intact animal.  An interesting point she brought up in that message was
avoiding the legalities altogether (in terms of spay/neuter) by getting the
pups fixed before sending them off.  Supposedly it causes a minimal effect
on males (leg bones grow for longer) and the effect it has on females
(incontinence) is likely to happen no matter when you fixed them - it
appears to be passed down genetically.  A vet's assistant even chimed in to
the conversation and said that the vet she works for actually prefers fixing
pups young - they recover faster and are less prone to complication.  This
was something that had never occurred to me, I'd always thought you needed
to wait until the dog is 6 months old.  I plan on talking to my vet about it
to see what HIS stance is, they're all so variable.

Merry