FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:52:54 -0400
   Strider, who is medium haired, is starting to shed. So I grabbed him and
felt him over, and found nothing behind his ears or tail but several spots
of bad matting on his "pants."  I'm embarrassed it developed without my
knowledge;  I won't let him get that far again. <blush>
   Now many of you have seen pix of him, and know that he's a sable-headed
white with freckles on his legs.  I've noticed that his undercoat is a
different color and have often wondered what he's look like with a butch
hair cut.
   Today was the day to find out! <maniacal cackle>
    I took hair-cutting scissors and pruned his coat (didn't hack it up
*too* badly) on his back and sides and back leg feathers to about an inch
long. Enough to protect him from the sun.  Made sure no matting was left.
   So what does he look like now?  Under all that white hair he's heavily
freckled all over, with a wide blue roan stripe down his shoulders.  Huh.
The freckles are both black and brown; he looks like he has a Heeler's coat
almost.  The dark sable/black areas are medium brown underneath.
   I didn't cut his tail hair (a farm collie's tail is his glory, to borrow
a phrase from Reepacheep) but brushed it all out; the hair is about 8" long.
   I recall that some dogs are humiliated by a trim so I assured him how
gorgeous he looked, and apparently he believed me.  The hair I cut off is
almost enough to make another dog, and I saved the unmatted long "pants"
hair to try to spin. (DH cracked that no one would want anything made from a
dog's butt hair.  Some people have no vision).
   He's still shedding like mad, but now it's just little puffs of cotton.
   Anyone want some dog hair to spin?

Rini