FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Dotty Harala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:39:32 -0700
  There are people on this list I believe who raw feed their dogs and are
very knowledgeable and I hope they can give you a detailed answer but
here's my 2 cents.   I have done it (raw feeding) in a very small way but
never could get 100%.  I'd like to try again some time.
As far as the chicken goes-I've fed all 4 of my dogs raw chicken parts from
puppyhood on and have never had trouble.  They chew and crunch and mash
them good before swallowing them.  My vet does not agree with it and
lectures me if it comes up, he thinks it is too dangerous not because of
the bones (since as you say they are pliable when raw, and become dangerous
when cooked), but he thinks the bacterial count is potentially too high and
says they might get a bad bacterial infection. I don't understand  this as
I've seen my dogs at different times eat sheep, chicken and other types of
poop; raw bones that were buried for who knows how long and rotted until
black and then eaten; and oh, other things like mice, voles and such.  Only
thing I have seen is one of them getting the runs after eating a raw beef
bone on a hot day  (in the 90's temp wise, and he had let it sit several
hours before eating it.)  The others each had a similar bone with no trouble.
dotty