FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Good Shepherd Farm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:20:41 -0500
Its so hard to know a dogs background.  You wish they could speak to you ;-)
I've had my BC Ellie all her life.   She's always been treated with
gentleness (in fact is a dog that just doesn't need much at all in the way
of physical corrections).  But you should see her skitter away at snapping
sounds like when you shake out a pair of jeans before folding them or open a
plastic garbage bag or clap your hands loudly.    If someone were to find
her they might think she had been hit with something to create that kind of
reaction, but she's just a more sound sensitive dog.  I chalk it up to the
fact that perhaps her breed has developed sharper reactions both to sight
and sound to be successful herding dogs.  She hates the front seat of the
car where she can see things coming at her at a high speed and will actually
try to duck to avoid them.  Its this same reaction that keeps her from
getting kicked by the horses though ;-)

BTW, at 7 years old she has lost the points to both fangs.  She is an avid
fetcher/chewer and will destroy most any toy or stick she's given.  I figure
its that propensity that wore down her her  teeth.

Amy
Good Shepherd Farm