FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Gwyn Diddally <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:21:14 -0400
>Shannon has rather oily hair around her ears

Is the oil problem enough that it gets stinky or anything?  My dogs,
especially Blitz, are oily around the ears, too; I think it's pretty normal.
  I finally gave up and just decided to let them be stringy-looking there,
though some people trim that hair short so it doesn't show as much.

>Tonight when I was brushing Shannon & got a good look at the mostly
>hairless
>patch on her tummy & it's pink with red blotches

Much as you probably don't want to hear this with her oily ear problem, have
you been supplementing her with Omega oils?  Some dogs can be very needy on
those for awhile, I imagine especially since she's been underweight
recently.  Other possibilities that come to mind are allergies to her food,
contact dermatitis from bedsheets/etc... using the supplements mentioned in
the demodex thread will really help keep the irritation down while you test
out what works... I personally found sulphur by itself to work just fine
when coupled with the omega oils.

Good luck with figuring it out, I hope she feels better soon!

Merry