FARMCOLLIE Archives

January 2002

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jana Lashmit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:25:26 EST
  Rescues and shelters can be a pain even if you have a home.  I've owned my house for nearly four years, but I've had trouble because I don't have a yard.  Not long ago, I tried to adopt a sheltie - he was blind, like my dog.  I've had plenty of experience with "special" dogs (including a former feral and a deaf dog), but no yard=no dog.  Even if I had a yard, my home is in the city, and I would not allow a dog free access to a yard all day - that's a good way to get your pet stolen or harassed.  Especially a blind dog.  Hasn't anyone ever heard of leashes?
  I've also been refused by the shelter.  When my first collie was a pup, about 5 months old, I tried to adopt a dog.  The  (they were not allowed to meet prior to adoption) - she beat him up on a regular basis, terrorized the cats, lunged and barked at my horse, and was in general a mistake.  I took her back, and tried again with a Saint Bernard - this one had been owned (the aussie was a stray), so I thought I'd have a better handle on the dog's temperament.  She was sweet, but although her info listed her as being housebroken, she positively was not.  I had to clean up at least 3 Saint Bernard-sized messes from the floor every day.  I know how to housebreak a dog, but after 3 weeks of mess, the Saint had to go back too.
  This stuff goes on my permanent record, so I'll never be allowed to adopt a dog in this county.

Jana
 &Bonnie