FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Laura Sanborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:44:39 -0700
At 05:08 PM Tuesday 7/19/2005, jana lashmit wrote:
>   What are your all's feelings on early spay/neuter and a dog's working
> drive/performance ability?  IME, dogs that are done earlier stay more
> puppylike - playful, resiliant, but with a shorter attention span and
> less retention from lesson to lesson.

Boy, I've heard pretty much the same thing from a wide range of dog
trainers, folks who have a lot of different types of dogs.  Experienced,
respected people involved in herding, protection work, drug & bomb
detection work, sight hounds, etc. etc.
"Permanant puppies" is the name one of them uses for many early s/n dogs.

In the case of dogs used for trained protection work (like police work) or
protection sport, many experts advise not neutering a male dog until he's
about 2 years old.

>   It goes both ways - some people complain of intact male dogs who are
> more apt to be distracted by other dogs (male and female, just dogs in
> general) - like a greater desire to interact, establish dominance,
> etc.  The theory is that altered dogs are "softer" therefore "safer" -
> important with guide/assistance dogs and pets.

A lot of people believe that too.  Intact males are more likely to urine
mark too.  Actually, that was the most noticeable change I saw when I
neutered my ES Rikki at 20 months of age.  Whereas before he'd urinate a
little bit here, a little bit there, ever since he was neutered he stopped
doing that, and will empty his bladder if he has to go.

Of course, like anything YMMV.  Dogs vary a lot as individuals.

Laura Sanborn