FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Paul and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:22:30 -0700
Now, the idea of getting cow hocks out of breeding lines has been well
reinforced.
There are alot of structural defects that everyone should steer away from.
Still, if an acceptional dog comes along that has the kind of mind that
people seek,  it would be quite rational to breed it with a complementary
mate designed to minimize or compensate for negative trait.
There may be health afflictions that perpetuating by breeding should be
absolutely forbidden, however. There also may be dogs with inherited
temperment problems that should never be bred to .
 Further, on cow hocks, I rescued an adult collie from a shelter in the 70s.
He looked total collie and sure had the danged hard to care for, full
luxurious coat.(sable)  The only reason the shelter thought he was a mix was
because his head had a bit more of a stop than seen in the breed and he had
less white...just a bit on his chest and toes.  He had obvious cow hocks so
I think if he was a purebred he was a puppy mill variety.
Anyway, he never got any arthritus or anything and was quite an athlete.  He
could jump up and over the sides (tailgait shut) into a full sized pick up
with ease...not even touching the sides. He could do that until he was about
9.  I don't know if he would have continued to be able to do it after that.
He died at that age of cancer.

Judy