FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Paul and Judy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:14:51 -0700
On my search for information on the causes of hip dispasia, it led me to the
ISSR (International Shiloh Shepherd Registry).  They require all puppy
buyers to sign a contract that they will have their puppys hip's tested at
between 18 months and 2 years old!...even if they are to be neutered...I
don't think it has to be OFA though.  They require other tests and that the
puppys are fed certain quality foods.
They have articles on their web site pertaining to litter studies being the
only real way to track and get rid of hip displasia.  I think you can learn
alot from this registry, no matter what you think of their dogs. Do note,
there are several Shiloh registries.  The ISSR is the only one that is
endorsed by the breed founder and goes to great lengths to educate their
breeders.  The dogs can not be registered with this registry unless their
breeders have passed a coarse on breeding, sworn to  the code of ethics and
some other requirements.
Kind of helps you understand why some other breeds have nothing to do with
AKC.

Judy