FARMCOLLIE Archives

March 2008

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jill Erisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Erisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:12:13 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Norma Bennett Woolf <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ohiopetlaw] Hearing on dog license bill
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:22:04 -0400

Good afternoon,

The battle lines have been drawn on HB 446, the bill that would overhaul
the state animal control law.

Yesterday afternoon, Gary Sinck (an OVDO member) and I met with Rep
Webster, chief sponsor of the bill. Dr. Webster wants the bill passed
before he leaves office at the end of this term. However, since he
didn't confer with actual dog and cat owners when writing the bill, he
has an uphill battle. We opposed the following provisions in the bill:

1. Reduction in the age for licensing puppies from three months to two
months.
2. Individual licenses for every dog in the kennel, even puppies over
the age of two months.
3. No puppy sales without a license.
4. Criminal penalty for rescuing stray dogs without turning them in to
animal control within 10 days.
5. The provision banning transfer of vicious dogs to new owners except
transfers to veterinarians or shelters for euthanasia. This provision
bans the sale of AmStaffs, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and any other
bully-looking breed or mix regardless of the behavioral history of the
dog.

There's lots more, but these are the biggest problems for those who
breed or rescue dogs. In addition, cat fanciers, hunters who use dogs,
and dog wardens oppose parts of the bill.

I gave the OVDO testimony at the hearing today; I hit the same points I
raised with Dr. Webster and made some general observations about the
likelihood that this bill will increase public distrust of animal
control, will be very difficult to enforce, and will not accomplish its
goals.

Dr. Webster said he is rewriting sections of the bill and will introduce
an omnibus amendment in a few weeks. We'll let people know what's in the
new bill and when it will be heard in committee so we can pack the
room(s) again.

Norma

~Jill M. Erisman
BlueStone K9 Bakery
Charmed One, CD, RN, NA, NAJ "Phoebe" (1/3 OA, 1/3 OAJ)
Diamonds Pretty Li'l Adriana, CD, RN, AX, AXJ, CGC "Ana" (24 MACH pts.)
"Midget" (the always on alarm system)
Razi Brina Vom Zwilling Bach, CD, CGC "Brina" (RIP)
Meridian's Blue Ace, CD, HC "Ace" (RIP)