FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Gwyn Diddally <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:12:59 -0400
>     Anyone who focuses on one thing, be it show wins, eyes, etc is heading
>down a difficult road.

Very true, that.

>  Some breeders now shy away from any pedigree with Valiant in it, though
>there are breeders with related dogs that are really beautiful and sound.

I think that's what intimidates me about breeding; for all that I'm
meticulous about being sure of what I'm doing, I'm always paranoid I'll end
up screwing it up like that.  I went from Miss
"Always-Fixes-Her-Pound-Puppies" to marrying this guy who, by the way, has a
purebred collie he's harbored hopes of breeding someday because she is smart
as a whip, sweet and herds/protects well enough that we've yet to lose a
bird when she's on duty.  And now I'm floundering around trying to get a
grip on all the details because I've never done anything like this with
something as significant as a canine.  When it comes to breeding, I've
always been a poultry girl and let's face it - when an outcross of poultry
goes wrong, you just eat the evidence.  :P

Merry