FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Gina Bisco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:03:07 -0400
Serena, how awful! What a terrible experience for you all, I can only imagine
(stuff of nightmares). So good that Lassie was okay .

>       A friend who has geese, ducks and chickens says the same thing. When
> preditors take them, they totally disappear, except with a hawk hit you
> can
> sometimes find the feathers or interrupt the attack.  Otherwise they
> disappear without a trace.
>         Dorothy

There are lots of predators including coyotes here but so far we've only had
trouble with hawks and one feral cat. Our eight dogs are in at night but they
seem to leave enough smell within the fenced part (only about an acre or
less) that wild creatures except hawks apparently decide to go around the
fence.

Just lost a young bird to something and I can't figure out what. There was the
feather puff and a tiny bit of blood that made me assume hawk. Lack of a
trail for the dogs to follow also made me think flying predator. But found
the gizzard and part of intestine about 20 feet away from the feathers. No
sign of any other parts and I've had the dogs thoroughly investigate the
area. If a bird carried it off completely, that makes sense. But what would
explain a stop to leave part of the innards and taking the rest, I don't
know.

Wonder how one could teach dogs to somehow tell their people what kind of
predator they smell.

Gina