FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Hans Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:42:44 -0400
Hello, new to the list.

Recently we lost our 11 year old mix "London" to a tumor.  The man we
purchased her from said she was a husky/retriever mix.  The first vet we
took her to said she was a border collie.  However, in my recent research on
the web looking for a new dog, I discovered English Shepherds.  After seeing
pictures and reading of their temperament, it's the closest thing I've seen
to our London.

Here are a couple pictures of her:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&uid=3682420&gid=7907106&&&&members=1&imgid=104422251

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=3&uid=3682420&gid=7907106&&&&members=1&imgid=104422209

She wasn't her usual self on the day of the "after swim" picture, 3 days
later we found out about the tumor.

I'm now researching English Shepherds.  Am not ready for a new dog yet as I
want to wait till I have some vacation time that I can spend with the dog to
train and bond.  Would probably be in the fall time frame.

Are there any good breeders in the Atlantic Canada area or New England?  We
would also consider a rescue dog if the fit was right.

Considerations when looking for a puppy/rescue are that it would be a
pet/companion not a work dog.  Exercise would be walks, ball/stick/frisbee
fetching, and hiking/camping/swimming in the summer.  Our preference is
female, black and tan or tri.  We own our own house on 1.3 acres, she would
be home alone during the day with our cat (London and the cat got along
great).  My dad has a "German" german shepherd and they visit frequently.
Neighbor's two dogs are also very friendly and come over to say hi when they
hear us.  We don't have children but have friends with children of all ages
who visit.

Any help/advice most appreciated.

Thanks,

Hans