FARMCOLLIE Archives

July 2005

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:18:53 -0400
At 1:01 PM -0700 7/1/05, Annie Prokop wrote:
>Well- frankly there are a few of us out there that are doing just that- a
>few big breeders- I can think of our too- Holmhaven, Wolfmanor and
>Rainshade

I know, I know there are breeders who are selecting for all the right
things, but within the collie world you know as well as I do that
unfortunately you guys are the exceptions that prove the rule.

I only know the broader "collie" world but what we face with CEA and other
hereditary problem every purebred dog breed also faces with one bug-a-boo
or another. We have eyes, someone else has skin, or dramatically increasing
cancer rates, or severe temperament anomolies.

        And we can blame the breeders - but the systen is also at fault,
that it rewards people who make poor short sighted (excuse the pun)
decisions rather than lok for the long term health of the breed they
supposedlyc are about. And it is the buyers fault too, for not really
learning before they buy and too often choosing looks over all else.