FARMCOLLIE January 2002

Re: Ivy update:

Paul Morton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:09:30 -0800

I had a collie once, that I have spoken of before that taught me a lot about
motivation. His name was Mango and if he was not purebred, it was hard to
tell what the other part was. Anyway, if you wanted obedience work you
kept the game happy and you jacked your own energy level up and gave the dog
lots of praise.
Now I have heard that a lazy person ought to get a lazy dog. However, if
you want to do something with a collie besides teach him to lay on the porch
you have to get out of the lounge chair yourself and work your hiney off to
keep him interrested!
The reward was well worth the performance the the dog might give you in the
long run.
Here is an example of a cute little routine my dog gave me that caused my
synical brother to drop his jaw at, one time. He had his tax papers
scattered all over the liveing room floor of my mother's house and someone
let Mango in from outside and he went tearing into the liveing room with his
wet feet in a direct intersecting path of the documents on the floor. There
was a couch behind the papers that was freestanding with out a wall behind
it. My brother and I both looked up at the same time and I said in a happy
tone, before my brother could let loose some curse," Mango, Over!"
Mango cleared the papers as well as the couch as easily as if it was a foot
high stool. He sailed as if with wings over a half of a liveing room full
of scattered papers and over the couch as well. He landed at my feet as
light as a feather and came to an instant sit looking up at me as though he
was then expecting some new command. Jerry just said," I don't know how
you taught that animal that, but I think God just saved all our butts."
I think when the dog came in the house he was so elevated in spirit after a
good run with the other dogs and he was extremly excited to be allowed in
the house that he just came bounding in. I had previously before taught him
to jump over a similar couch and when he came in with such momentom at the
command " over", he departed the floor instantly instead of waiting till he
got closer to the couch. There is aslo something uncanny in the judgement
of a pet sometimes that can not be explained. The papers had never been
there on the floor before. Perhaps he thought that they were an added
object, something new, or some added game by me. He gleefully met the
challange and jumped them too. Ofcoarse, I never told my brother that it
was simple luck. Everybody reading this will know that I could never get a
repeat performance of the same act. If you can get one glorious,
spontaneous act out of a collie go with it and thank your stars. No drills
allowed. I just told Mango,"Good dog!" Now lets go outside (the other door)
and play a fun little game. I took him outside immediately, leaveing my
brother to ponder.
Anybody got a theory? How did the dog know to make the lift-off 6 feet in
front of the couch instead of another stride in, and at the base of the
couch which would have had him right in the middle of the papers.
Judy Morton