FARMCOLLIE January 2002

Re: Pet for adoption at Petfinder.com!

Paul Morton <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:23:57 -0800

Sounds like the shelters need to give people a trial period with the adult
dogs.  After all,  they can only go on the info. that is given by the
pevious owners and that can 't be guarenteed.  How would they know if a dog
is house broken?  They kennel them at the shelters.   Some dogs just don't
get along with certain dogs.  The only way to be sure is give it a trial.
I like the idea of the foster dog system.  The foster person can get a good
handle on the dog and give better info. to the perspective owner. Also,
'seems like a perspective owner could offer to foster a dog,  then keep the
dog if it really worked out.  At any rate,  seems like being in a home would
be better than in a shelter if even for a little while,  as long as the dog
was still available for adoption.

Judy Morton

p.s.  Actually, that's pretty funny...to think of cleaning up 3 poops a day
behind an adult St. Bernard.
Did you use a wheel barrel or a garden tracter?  He he..Oh I'm so sorry,
but I can't help myself sometimes.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jana Lashmit <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: Pet for adoption at Petfinder.com!

>   Rescues and shelters can be a pain even if you have a home.  I've owned
my house for nearly four years, but I've had trouble because I don't have a
yard.  Not long ago, I tried to adopt a sheltie - he was blind, like my dog.
I've had plenty of experience with "special" dogs (including a former feral
and a deaf dog), but no yard=no dog.  Even if I had a yard, my home is in
the city, and I would not allow a dog free access to a yard all day - that's
a good way to get your pet stolen or harassed.  Especially a blind dog.
Hasn't anyone ever heard of leashes?
>   I've also been refused by the shelter.  When my first collie was a pup,
about 5 months old, I tried to adopt a dog.  The  (they were not allowed to
meet prior to adoption) - she beat him up on a regular basis, terrorized the
cats, lunged and barked at my horse, and was in general a mistake.  I took
her back, and tried again with a Saint Bernard - this one had been owned
(the aussie was a stray), so I thought I'd have a better handle on the dog's
temperament.  She was sweet, but although her info listed her as being
housebroken, she positively was not.  I had to clean up at least 3 Saint
Bernard-sized messes from the floor every day.  I know how to housebreak a
dog, but after 3 weeks of mess, the Saint had to go back too.