]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FARMCOLLIE Home

FARMCOLLIE  January 2002

FARMCOLLIE January 2002

Scotch collie character was Re: Beginning ...

Elaine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:46:02 -0500

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just joined the list this weekend. What a great job you are all doing to
>bring back the old type working farm dogs. I had seen a few sites with
>individuals doing this, but was really pleased to see many of you have come
>together in a group to give the whole concept further strength.
>
>I will have loads of questions, but I'll start with just one for now.
>
>Having talked with a number of breeders of the AKC recognized herding
>breeds, I have noticed most would be unwilling to allow one of their dogs
>go into a program where a cross was going to be made. I see this as a real
>pity. I do understand they want to safegard their dogs from ending up as
>puppy mill stock etc. If a person can provide a good home for the breeding
>dog, let them grow up as part of the family, and also follow through on
>testing for hip dysplasia (sp?), eye problems etc, wouldn't it be just as
>good of a home in the eyes of the seller/breeder?  I'm just wondering how
>you begin really when most breeding stock is only available to "show
homes".
>I'm not ready to do this myself, but someday would like to work in this
>direction. ( I hope I didn't make that clear as mud. )
>
>Thanks,
>Lynn L. / Wi

Hi Lynn!

nice to meet you.

I read your post and I am wondering what kind of working instincts you are
looking for?

In AWFA we are looking for the instincts of the Old Scotch Collie- as
described here:

http://izebug.syr.edu/~gsbisco/bewick.htm

We believe that this line of dogs from Tennessee is essentially the same
breed of dog:

http://izebug.syr.edu/~gsbisco/bull2b.htm

(incidentally, Zeruiah's new puppy from KY is a grandson of Dunrovin's Old
Shep!)

We are defining the scotch collie type dogs that we are looking for by the
three working characters, herding and guardian and hunting.  This English
Shepherd in Mo. is a wonderful example of the type of guardian that we are
looking for:

http://www.geocities.com/farmshepherd/austin.html

We find that most modern "working breeds" do not have the combination of
working character that the old scotch collies had, but that some in each of
the collie breeds still retain it.  That is what we are interested in.

IT was difficult at first to find breeding dogs to start with,
(particularly in my specific case) and it is still an occasional occurance
when we find a new one from the AKC breeds- like Hazelanne's King- that has
all of the working characteristics, and is available to the performance
foremost breeding efforts.  We permanently register dogs that have only two
of the three areas.  We value these dogs highly as well.

Mary has given you some good advice in obtaining breeding stock.  There are
advantages to getting a pup and bonding it to you and raising it- you know
more about it's inherent instincts, and don't have to attribute a lack of
such instincts to a lack of socialization- much of the working instinct of
the farmcollies is based in pack bonding.  OTOH if you get an adult that
has hip tests etc, already done, then you can perhaps avoid some of the
problems that you might otherwise encounter.

Elaine