FARMCOLLIE November 2004

hip displasia

Paul and Judy <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:21:13 -0800

I know I should not have but I stopped by an animal shelter yesterday.  There was a lovely black, female german shepherd about 6 months old in there.  She was my kinda dog.  She was sweet, responsive, alert and interested in everything but easy going, not crazy wild inspite of the goings on in the shelter and the other dogs. She was not a farm dog but the kind of dog who would respond real well to any type of training and be pretty good with guests and kids and other dogs but probably quite devoted to her family and want to please. They had just groomed her but her coat lacked the luster of a really well cared for dog and she had obvious angulation in the back end, the trademark of some pure GSDs maybe show lines.  Her hind legs had some turn out.  She was not as large as most GSDs her age. Her name was Kiera.
I asked the shelter worker about her and found out that they thought she had hip displasia.  Her symptoms were that she showed maybe some tenderness to the touch to the hips and would drop if pressed on the top of the pelvis area.  They said she showed general weakness to the back end and if running did the bunny hop with both back legs going simutaneously on quite a lot of her strides but not all.  These were the signs that they were sure, even with out exrays showed she had hip displasia in some form.  The woman I talked to had gone through the long and sordid experience of having a St. Bernard with the worse case synario and even with surgery had had to be put down at 4 years old. So she was not at all ignorant about the subject.
So I am asking for information from all of you experienced dog owners especially the German shepherd people, what types of surgery and what are the chances of this dog living a quality life after surgery.  I am probably not going to get the dog but might sponser her first set of exrays to find out what is going on with her and if things are really bad.  Was told by the shelter woman that if exrayed at 6 months they could tell alot but also that the hips could even grow worse as she grew and that is what had happened to her St. Bernard.  For it hardly seems fair, to even attempt a rehab on a shelter dog and put it through such miserie and suffering as well as the owner if the life expectancy is only 4 years!
It looks like she has already been spayed and for Gods Sakes....please exray your breeding dogs!

Judy