]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FARMCOLLIE Home

FARMCOLLIE  January 2005

FARMCOLLIE January 2005

Re: Herding drive - puppy testing--Janna

jana lashmit <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:28:45 -0800

  Well, she's not expecting yet, but I am planning to breed her this spring.  She should be going into heat in May (when I obsess, I like to get a head start!).
  This is Pepper (on her breeder's website, pic is at the bottom):
http://geocities.com/rainbowdelightcollies/Whitemerle.html
  She is normal eyed, probably a noncarrier.  As you can see in the picture, she has a rather wide head and her ears are lowset - I never did any taping or gluing, that's just how they are.  As far as her eyes' size and shape, one breeder said they are nicely shaped but too large, another said the size is right but they are too round!  Her coat is thick but easy-care, she has never matted anywhere except behind the ears a little during the transition from puppy to adult coat.   She has a strong herding instinct and got her HT after less than half a dozen brief exposures to sheep, nearly three months before the test.  She has been wonderful to work with in obedience, having a real willingness to please and desire to be close to me at all times.   She's also quite protective (but sensible), and a natural "mom" - she's parented a few litters of orphan kittens.
  Pepper has a variable activity level - she goes biking with me for as much as 10 miles at a time, loves to swim and run, but will happily snooze all day if necessary.  We have some big plans this spring: more Rally, "real" obedience, and agility competition, as well as a Temperament Test and TDI evaluation next month.  I have her scheduled for an OFA hip/elbow prelim, thyroid check, and cardiac check in April.  The OFA is only a prelim because she will be 22 months old - any later and I'd be running into her heat cycle or pregnancy.  She comes from sound, OFA'd good and excellent dogs, so I'm not worried.
  The bad news: she is a carrier for the MDR-1 gene that causes ivermectin sensitivity.  Her mom is normal/normal, dad is mutant/mutant.  So I really want to find a dog who is normal/normal.
  The first dog I had looked at as a stud I thought was tri, but he turned out to be a cryptic merle - produced a double merle pup!   Another I really like is a MDR-1 normal/mutant, so I would be producing mutant/mutant pups, which I'd rather avoid.  There is a third I'm considering, a rough trifactored sable (who shares her "faults" of large eyes and broad skull, also has herding and obedience titles), the only thing keeping me away from him is the fact that he is a rough and I want smooths.  For myself and because, if all goes well, one or more of these pups may have a career as a service dog.

Jana

You mentioned ...Puppies tested when they come along....Do you have a female
that is expecting?