FARMCOLLIE Archives

January 2007

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Jill Erisman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Erisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:20:17 -0500
Hi Rose,

I'm so sorry to hear that Lady is not doing well. Though it does sound
as though maybe there is a hip problem, the other symptoms you described
make me think that maybe it's spinal and perhaps system failure with the
bowels and kidneys. Though trouble urinating could also be kidney
stones. I suggest a possible spinal issue because my German Shepherd had
degenerative myalopathy (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). Basically, some
lines of German Shepherds start having degeneration of the spinal cord
from midback down. Onset starts at about age 7. To watch an affected dog
move, one would think it was hip dysplasia. If I hadn't had her hips
x-rayed prior to the onset, and armed with the knowledge her breeder
will not breed anything with even slightly questionable hips even if
they pass OFA certification, I would have thought she had hip problems.
To my knowledge, a genetic marker has not been found yet and it's not
sure if the cause is genetic, environmental, or dietary. The late onset
means affected breeding dogs have already been used for breeding before
the symptoms arise.

On the other hand, if it is her hips, the pain there would make bowel
movements uncomfortable due to how they arch their backs and flex their
hips to defecate. Hip issues will cause trouble for a dog to walk, get
up or down, take steps or even get in and out of any vehicle.

As for treating the pain, there are many holistic options. Supplements
of glucosamine and chondroiton sulfate are excellent and completely
safe. My favorite source (which I used for my gsd, my collie, and my
boyfriend's 13 year old husky mix) is SpringTime Inc
(www.springtimeinc.com). They have products for dogs, horses, and
people. Another supplement is Duralactin, which is a milk based product
that works great and dogs love the chewable tablets. I used this on my
gsd and the husky mix to great results. It is available at some of the
better pet supply stores, your vet should have it, or you can order
online from many pet supply catalogs. My favorite place online is KV Vet
Supply (www.kvvet.com).

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on her.

~Jill