FARMCOLLIE January 2007

Re: I don't know what to do

Paul and Judy <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:36:12 -0800

Sounds like you are not in a rural, ranching or farming area.  In the area
that I live in there are lots of farm collie types languishing in the
shelters.
I would say however, that sable dogs with blazes or flashy blue merils are
the most likely to get a wide audience of would be adopters.  Such dogs, if
taken from a kill shelter and put in some of the no kill private shelters
will find homes.  So many people have the lassie love that they will pick
those dogs first.  The flashy aussie fits the rancher western look that some
people like, just as they want their gaits to have an antique wagon wheel
implant. So maybe there is a waiting list in your area for that kind of
"look'.
However if you could find some distant kill shelters in a rural county and
go there at the right time you might just find what you are looking for.
The kill shelters, though have less time to discribe dogs and deal with
adopters on the phone and do not screen the dogs as much as some rescues so
you have to take your chances and do your own leg work. Put your name in
everywhere.
You probably should bring it to the attention of the higher management in
the shelters you have already applied with and let them know your
frustration and that you are going to have to consider buying from a
breeder.....horror of horrors to the animal worker!  Public enemy number
one! LOL.  Maybe your applications have been lost or there is something on
them that makes you less of an ideal adopter that you are unaware of.  Let
the management explain.
Do consider going to American Working Farm Collie Association on the
internet and get just what you are looking for.
Judy