Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FARMCOLLIE Home

FARMCOLLIE  February 2013

FARMCOLLIE February 2013

Re: Clipping a rough collie???

Jennifer WhiteWolf Crock <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:45:45 -0800

Greetings FARMCOLLIE list folks....

I need some opinions about clipping my elderly Rough Collie TahTay.  The
past few months he had been blowing inner coat like crazy, and at the
same time developing a sensitive skin such that he REALLY complains when
trying to brush it out.  It has become the worst I have ever seen, with
mats developing that have no hope of brushing out. I have taken to just
cutting them off, especially around his rear and thighs. He cannot hunch
over to poo any more, nor can he lift his leg to do the other duty...he
just stands on all four and does what needs doing. This has led to
keeping his rear pretty well clipped to aid in dropping of scat.  With
so much of his underside and legs becoming more matted all the time, and
his discomfort with our brushing it out, to the point of yelping and
trying to jump away, I have started to consider clipping him down. He
has never been clipped before, and he would for a while look like a
smooth collie!!  but it may be a good way to give his skin some air and
freedom from snarl stress. He spends most of his time inside these days,
so having a thick coat for outdoor weather is not much of a concern.
What is of concern, to me at least, is improving his comfort by getting
rid of snarled hair, and improving his cleanliness. Matted hair cannot
be bathed properly.  If we do end up clipping him we will likely do it
here at home. I have a Yorkshire Terrier breeder just 3 doors up....she
has power clippers with attachments for grooming, and knows TayTay well.
We would clip him at home in a safe surroundings. I do worry a little
about his living long enough to grow out a full coat again, but the real
motivation is making him more comfortable and his skin healthier, as he
is NOT going into any show ring!

I am looking for opinions about clipping ....yea or nea, and reasons for
or against. If there is a significant reason not to, I will be doing my
level best to scissor trim and hand brush a little more each day to try
and get all the way around him, and to stay ahead of it from there, but
it will be LOT of discomfort for him, and in his lowered condition due
to age and stroke, I don't really want to stress him. I can't help but
think it will be easier for him if he give him a haircut and then make
sure we keep up on brushing out the bushiness as it grows back.  Ever
since last summer, his coat has been a difficult problem....blowing
inner fur like mad out of season, then stopping, then doing it again.
Poor boy has been all confused about hair, and his skin has become very
sensitive to hair tug or pulling such as occurs with brushing and worse
when de-tanging or de-matting.

_______________

On another note: I saw a special on TV about giving fish oil to human
patients that had suffered brain damage from either trauma or stroke,
that lead to coma...and in 2 experimental cases, the people given large
doses of fish oil came out of their comas and have regained the ability
to talk and walk. I thought that I would try it with TahTay, though not
in a coma, he has suffered some brain dysfunction that was causing his
rear to walk over to one side, and to have much weaker muscle control.
We have had him on fish oil about a month now, along with pure
unhydrogenated coconut oil. After about 2 weeks he started walking less
diagonal, and has been up and walking about many more hours in the
typical day. He is still lower strength, but has regained enough to
climb stairs again, something he became unable to do about 4 months
ago.  a few days ago when we had some sunshine, we even went outside and
walked up the mound of dirt we have for the dogs. He had not been able
to do that since autumn!
At least we are seeing some small improvements in his overall condition.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on the clipping subject...
Jennifer Crock