FARMCOLLIE  May 1997

FARMCOLLIE May 1997

bi-color

Tue, 6 May 1997 20:01:11 -0400

Hi,

I had sent this message earlier to Gina and to Smoke's owner, Meg, but for
some reason it didn't go through and was returned to me, so I thought now
that Smoke has been announced, I'd post it to the list and add a couple more
comments.

Linda R.
Pacifica, CA

Lost post:

Regarding tan points in the Tricolor and the Blue-Merle Collie,
According to Sharon Vanderlip's book on Collie genetics:

<< Tan points may be apparent at birth or may appear gradually after birth,
 reaching full tan coloration and extension by adulthood. The presence of
 tan points at birth or after some time lapse is inherited genetically
 and depends upon the lineage of the animal. >>

My tricolor Shelties appeared as bi-colors at birth.  Since the father was a
bi, I thought I could get some bi's, but apparently the tri dam wasn't
bi-factored, as they all became tricolors (and tan-marked blue merles) to my
disappointment.  After the first litter, I could tell within a couple of days
if they were likely to be tries, because there would be the faintest dusty
markings on the cheeks and under the tail.  But it took several weeks for it
to become plain if you weren't looking for it.  In BC's, a lot of the tris
have very, very faint markings all their lives -- Tex is like this.  Unless
you get close, he looks black and white, but he has faint, pale tan eyedots
and smudges on his cheeks.  He was registered as a tri.  In standard Collies
of course they'd be expecting tris, so would probably, as Gina indicates,
check the box that was closest in appearance (many people who aren't
experienced breeders don't know about cryptic blues).  Often it's the later
owner who registers the pup, and if the breeder doesn't tell them the color,
they check the box that fits.  There are a number of people who think sable
means black (check the dictionary) and tricolor means what we would call a
shaded sable (it has three colors, of course) -- we've talked about this on
Sheltie-l.

Linda R.

To elaborate a little further:

Black is usually dominant in dogs, but there is a rarer recessive strain that
is known to occur in Shelties, GSD's, and apparently, Collies.  It may also
occur in Iceland Dogs.

Black and white has never been specifically faulted in the Collie standard,
it was just left out during one of the several standard revisions, probably
because it had become so rare as to virtually disappear.  The original Collie
standard was very broad as to color, and Rawdon Lee's book on the breed (late
19th century) mentions black and white as a color.  The most recent solid
reference I had seen to an occurrence of black and white was in an old Collie
Cues magazine in the 1950's.  I had seen a couple of other references here
and there but couldn't confirm them as true black-and-whites rather than
tricolors that were being called "black and white" by pet owners.

A sign of possibly carrying the bi-color gene (or rather, gene for absense of
tan markings) in Shelties is that the tri parent will have tan markings that
are a bit less extensive, more blended around the edges and almost a duskier
color than the tris which don't carry the recessive.  I have never seen this
in a Rough Collie, but in speaking to the breeder of my Collie, she said she
had seen a few (very few) Collies that did seem to have this kind of tan.

The bi-color became very rare in Shelties for awhile, but remained in the
standard, and in the last 20 years or so the bi-blacks and bi-blues (my
favorite color) have become well known again.

Linda R.
Pacifica, CA

From   Tue May  6 14:23:26 1997
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:21:43 -0400 (EDT)