FARMCOLLIE July 1997

puppy questions

"g. bisco" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:33:56 -0700

Hi all, I have some questions about collie puppies that I hope you can
help with.

1) Current problems:

1A) Puppies nipping legs: If I run across the yard, the puppies get very
very excited and try to run with me, but barking, growling and grabbing
pantlegs (or skin), and making me trip. Very dangerous for them,
unpleasant for me. With so many of them, I haven't been able to figure
out any sort of correction that will work for all at once. Any
suggestions?

And a question about this behavior: do all puppies do this, or is it a
herding puppy thing?

1B) Puppies with cats: always before, with just one puppy and meaner
cats, the cats taught the puppies to leave them alone, and eventually
they became buddies. Our 4 cats have been interacting with the puppies
for several weeks now. I thought if they got to interact when the
puppies were quite small, the cats would instill some respect and the
puppies would be okay with them as they got bigger. But the cats have
never swatted the puppies when they deserved it.

If a cat tries to cross the yard, the puppies will mob it and although
they haven't been big enough to do any harm yet, now they are as big as
or bigger than the cats. In this situation, the cats either run (which
the puppies love, of course it is training them to chase cats), or the
cat crouches down and appears to want to let the puppies maul it. If we
are close enough we have tried various things if the puppy or puppies
are barking at the cat or pawing at the cat, or chasing or about to
chase a cat, such as spray bottle (some puppies are not phased by this)
or a scruff shake/put down; this sort of works somewhat but I only have
two hands and it isn't effective on enough puppies at once. I try to
have the cats and puppies sit down together (puppies will sit for
treats) and they are usually quite civilized when everyone is calm but
if the cat runs they turn into pirana puppies. One cat likes them so
much he brings them prey.

2) Future problem:
One puppy is probably going to a farm home, where it will have duties
when it grows up which will make it impossible for to be in a fenced
yard/on leash all the time. Any suggestions for teaching boundaries and
"stay off the road"? I tried this with our Hayley before we had a fence
and it was a failure (she could always run faster than me). The only
suggestion I can think of is to keep the puppy penned at all times when
it isn't being closely watched, or have it on a short leash attached to
a person. And when it is unconfined and being closely watched, keep it
involved in things away from the road, and reward it often when it is
staying way from the road. I would be really grateful for any
suggestions. By the way, has anyone tried the radio fencing?

Thanks

Gina