FARMCOLLIE October 1998

Sad Abby

Sue Lesly <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:05:05 -0500

Poor Abby.  Two of her kittens left late yesterday.  They are going to a
very loving man who just finished modifying my stable for my tiny goats.
About the time I was adopting the ten day old kittens , he was losing his
16 yr old cat after about 6 months of illness.  Anyway, when he first
started working on the stable, they were too little to go, but I was
looking for homes so mentioned them to him.  Oh no he told me, he wasn't
ready for a new cat yet.  Well, he has worked for me the last four
Saturdays.  Last Saturday, he decided he might want one kitten but really
needed to think about it.  He still tears up when he thinks about his old
cat.  This Saturday, I didn't know he was even here.  Abby, Casey and I
had walked down to the creeks to enjoy the cool fall morning.  When we
got back, he was sitting in the stable, having his coffee, and telling
them that he couldn't take all three, but he wanted two to go home with
him that evening.  He was telling them how he had gotten kitten food for
them and made a special place for them to sleep.

Well, he worked and I spent the day picking up limbs and moving some long
ago cut wood  into a big pile to  burn.  Late in the day as my fire was
reaching the bonfire stage, it started to rain.  So he finished up and as
we had discussed early, I would take Abby in and he would leave with his
two kittens.  I didn't trust Abby to be nice when he took them so it
seemed best to just take her in.  When I heard him drive away, we went
back out.  Abby looked and whined and looked some more for the kittens.
The one he didn't take was Ruthie Bridges, Abby's favorite, because she
is so small. She was the runt and she is about half the size of the
others still.

For the first time since I have had Abby, she would not come inside to
sleep.  There is a doggie door so she can run to the stable if she hears
anything.  Once there, there is an opening that I call the Abby shute.
She can get through it to the goats and then on to the pasture, but the
goats can't get through it to the grain and hay storage area.  So Abby
always sleeps by the door and goes out a few times each night.  Not last
night.  She slept out there with Ruthie Bridges.  No one is taking that
kitten.  So, I guess all three kittens found good homes last night.

Sue