FARMCOLLIE Archives

May 1999

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Marci Sudlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 00:18:41 EDT
In a message dated 5/2/99 12:02:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> With
>  the exception of one Lassie that died very unexpectedly of cancer at a
young
>  age many years ago, all of the Lassie's have lived to be 15-18 years old!

That alone ought to be a pretty good indicator of the hardiness of Lassie's
bloodlines!  And all were sound enough to have full working careers!

In fact I was shocked when our first collie, Jabez died of what the vet
attributed to old age (kidney failure) at age 10.  I had known of the
legendary Lassie longevity and assumed that was normal for collies.

Howard was bred at one point to one of the Valiant collies, wasn't he?  I
don't know what other genetic problems she screens for, but I know that
Athena, the breeder of this line is very meticulous about normal eyes.

BTW, Joan, how is that Lassie pup of yours doing??
Marci
http://www.sover.net/~lsudlow/