FARMCOLLIE Archives

May 1999

FARMCOLLIE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Marci Sudlow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 10:03:55 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/99 12:04:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Jan writes:

>  I do think it's their (CCA's) loss, I think they should be happy to help
>  folks interested in adding a collie to their lives to follow links leading
>  them to collie info.  I started the Breeders Network for ES because people
>  were having trouble finding puppies and some ended up getting them from Pet
>  Stores even though they knew that was a bad idea - they didn't know where
>  else to go. Also some breeders have given their pups away because they
>  couldn't find buyers. With the Breeders Network folks can find each other.
>          But I really really don't recommend Lassie get in to that business
>  - that would be fraught with all kinds of problems. But it's too bad the
>  CCA doesn't want to make it easy for folks interested in getting a collie
>  to get the best one for their family.
>          What about a link to the Working Collie group?

I think it is the public and CCA's loss, both.  I really think CCA has their
head stuck up their a-- on this one!  The irony of the situation is that they
mention Lassie in a favorable light (as well as the Terhune novels) on their
own homepage!  Joan, your page about buying a collie on the Lassie web site
is top-notch.  I would recommend linking to International White Collie Assoc
and any one or many of the various collie rescue sites, as all of these have
links to CCA, and thus linking to these sites will provide indirect access to
CCA.  (I don't really think American Working Collie Club (AWCC) is
appropriate to new pet dog buyers - too specialized and no links to CCA or
anything pet related that I could discern.)

(The whole idea of refusing linkage to one's site has always struck me as
foolish and futile - it is only an endorsement on your part if the link goes
the other way - from your own site to someone else's.)

Marci Sudlow
Rutland, Vermont
http://www.sover.net/~lsudlow/
(Any of my written words may be reproduced, providing their context is
unchanged and I am credited as author.)