At 05:33 PM 7/10/2000 -0500, Misty Dale Farm wrote:
>There is alot of controversy over this subject and arguments can be
>made for both sides.  My postition may be a bit unconventional but
>I just don't see the iron clad evidence in favor of going the OFA  route.

There are definitely many sides to this discussion. But as said, you can't
just look at the dogs and determine if it has CHD, particularly when young.
While there may be some non genetic influences in the expression of CHD, the
Seeing Eye Dog folks in New Jersey has shown a genetic background. They
have a closed kennel, with a number of dogs, which allows extensive work
with CHD. The OFA/PennHip score is used as a major selection criteria for
breeding and use as a guide dog. With the German Shepherds, they
significantly raised the kennels OFA scores in 4 or 5 generations. I
believe that shows the genetic influence and the fact that OFA can be
useful. The problem is the need to analyze the hips for generations. It is
not a simple problem so there is no simple answer. Another dream of having
a DNA test but until then, I'm on
the testing side of the discussion.
Dean Mair

  "Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present."
      --- Albert Camus