At 6:58 PM -0400 7/10/00, Marna Reutman wrote:

>If someone is wanting a farm dog, hips are probably less important, because
>less jumping is needed.

        I agree with everything else Marna said but I wanted to add that on
many farms the working dogs have to jump. Quinn (OFA good from OFA good
parents but brother to Kathi's CHD dog Cassie) doesn't even see fences, he
just sails over them. Coyotes three fields away are a straight run for him.
In addition to jumping over fences he also one time jumped over a cow that
was in his way. He also scales round bales, checks things out and then
jumps down. Many farm dogs do jump and they aren't controled height jumps
that we see in obedience and agility work.

                jan