Linda,

I wonder if the person who wrote this article thoroughly researched it.
It sounds much like some of the false info that circulates the internet
at times, but turns out not to be true.  It could well be true, but my
experience makes me wonder....

My work is heavily involved with clinical trials and several of my
clients have recently taken products out of pre-clinical (animal
research) into clinical (human research).  One of those was a cardiac
implant device which had gone through pre-clinic on Beagles.  The other
was a vagal nerve stimulator for  three indications and all three
indications had been tested first on Beagles.  The Beagle is by far the
most commonly used dog for clinical research.  In fact, I remember that
some movie star got into a crusade to save poor Beagles from this
designation as being the favorite dog to use.  Might have been Kim
Bassinger.

Anyway, I have been told by many, many scientists that the dogs are
chosen because they are small, docile, easy to handle and cheap to feed.
Most of the dogs in the article's list don't fit that description at all.

I am NEVER involved in the pre-clinical side and I couldn't stand to know
much about what happens to those poor animals.   Just adding another side
to the what the article said.

Sue