The beagles aren't bred by the researchers, but they do buy them in
batches for their studies.  I'm not saying other dogs aren't used, but I
do know that even a beagle is large enough for device implantation.  And
I have seen over and over again the reports when a drug or device goes
from pre-clinical to Phase 1 clinical and more often than not the dogs
were beagles.  It just doesn't seem to make sense that someone would
bother to steal dogs when shelters will give them to medical research
rather than euthanize them.  But, maybe so....
Sue