At 11:41 PM -0400 10/20/04, Claire Apple wrote:

>       by Stan Potratz
>                        Why do I say this? Because the O'Neill's and Janet
>McNally (the dame of the pups is from the McNally's and the sire of the
>pups comes from the O'Neill's) cull their guard dogs aggressively, and
>have done so for years. Inferior dogs are never allowed to produce pups.
>The result, over time, is a more reliable source of superior guard dog.

        I think that is really interesting. Of course, it all matters in
how you define "inferior pups". If you are breeding for conformation shows
your definition of "inferior" will be different from someone breeding for
agility or herding or livestock guarding.  I was shocked to here a sheltie
person on another list maintain that shelties had never been herding dogs.
I'm sure her opinion about what dogs are "inferior" are different from
yours or mine...

        With the LGDs at Premier, I have to wonder if the ones that didn't
work out came from breeders who had other ideals. And I don't mean show dog
ideals either. But if they are selecting for the type of LGD that suits
their farm, it's size and stock and preditors, their dogs might be perfect
for them and less than ideal for the Premier farm. Some folks might read
this article by Stan and rush out for a McNally pup only to find that it
doesn't do the job for them becaus ethey have other needs and expectations.
If you go over to southern and eastern Europe you;ll find a lot of
different LGDs. They are all so similar in looks but each region selected
for dogs that were ideal for them and people familiar with the different
types of LGDs believe there are differences aside from obviousl physical
ones.

        With English Shepherds we've had breeders who considered a certain
size or color ideal and dogs who didn't meet that expectation were
"inferior". Some folks have focused on a particular type of stock and
gotten away from the "general all round" type the ES has been. If you got a
dog from a "B&T is the only true ES" person and your dog was perfect then
you might be disappointed when your next dog comes from a "big dogs are
better" person.

        It's always important for breeder and potential buyer to talk to
each other, in depth, about goals and expectations and hopes.

        jan