From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 6:01 PM
Subject: News From Premier - Special Price on Digital Scale

View this email as a web page.

           October/November 2004

                        Guard Dogs vs. Coyotes at Premier in 2004

                        We've seen 2 points confirmed this year:
                        - A good guard dog(s) does deter coyotes.
                        - It is likely that 80% of the difference
                          between an excellent guard dog and a
                          poor one is genetics.

                        Here is the supporting account-
                        Premier obtained its first livestock guard dog puppies from Ray Coppinger via Hampshire College in 1980 after hearing him explain their possibilities in Pipestone, MN. Guard dogs have been an integral part of our operation ever since. We live in prime coyote country. (An expert located 5 different packs within 1.5 miles of our 160 acre farm.)

                        For 23 years we've relied upon fences and a series of guard dogs (some great, some good and some not so good) to keep the coyotes at bay. Twelve months ago our success ended. Why? The last of our "first class" guard dogs (born at Premier from Coppinger genetics) finally died, having lived over 12 years. Two weeks after she died coyotes killed an adult sheep at Premier. Several kills followed. We tightened up our boundary fences. It helped, but kills still occurred unless sheep were brought into night pens of netting, and coyotes still hunt on parts of our farm.

                        Yes, we had (and have) many other guard dogs on the place since then, obtained as pups from stock farms as far away as Arkansas and Oklahoma. None were (or are) in the same class as the "Coppinger dogs" for reliability when in the same field with livestock.

                        We began to wonder if the cause for the multi-year series of problem dogs/puppies was us, that somehow our training system was so flawed that we were turning good pups into disappointing dogs.

                        We don't necessarily require that dogs bond so tight to a flock or herd that they stay in without fences, only that they do not hassle livestock and do not become escape artists (to the neighbor fields or homesteads). We've learned that territorial dogs can be effective at holding coyotes at bay in our situation.

                        This summer we obtained two female pups from Kelley O'Neill (SE MN) at 9 weeks of age. We introduced them, separately, to 60 - 80 lb. lambs. Watching them interact with our ewe lambs has been reassuring. The pups lie down in front of the lambs and lick their faces, behavior that we've not seen from guard dogs pups since the "Coppinger genetics" died. They're now 18 weeks old. The pattern of bonded behavior continues.

                        What makes these dogs different? In a word, genetics.

                        Why do I say this? Because the O'Neill's and Janet McNally (the dame of the pups is from the McNally's and the sire of the pups comes from the O'Neill's) cull their guard dogs aggressively, and have done so for years. Inferior dogs are never allowed to produce pups. The result, over time, is a more reliable source of superior guard dog.

                        by Stan Potratz

           In this issue:
            Industry News
                  Guard Dogs vs. Coyotes at Premier in 2004 by Stan Potratz

            VIP Article
                  Duck Haven Farm by David E. Bryson, Sr.

            Featured Product
                  Digital Scale - Special Price!

            Premier Tip
                  PoultryNet and Customer Testimonial-Premier's Walk-Thru Feeders

            Employee Spotlight
                  Chuck Longest

            Recipes from the Folks at Premier
                  M & M Bars

                        Lamb Checkoff Vote in January

                        I know, in the last weeks of the national election season, that the last think you want to hear is about another vote.

                        Nonetheless, the USDA, on behalf of the US sheep industry, will soon hold a national referendum (that's right, a vote) on whether the current lamb checkoff should continue.

                        The current checkoff began over 2 years ago. The $ collected from it support the activities of the American Lamb Board. If you've sold lambs through public channels over the past 2 years you've had a % of your check deducted. Because the checkoff was "voluntary", you've had an option to apply to have the funds reimbursed, but you had to apply for this to occur. If this vote passes, the reimbursement option will disappear.

                        It's not my purpose to suggest how you should vote. That's up to you. But I want you to know that the opportunity to vote is about to occur.

                        by Stan Potratz

                  Return to top

                        Duck Haven Farm
                        by David E. Bryson, Sr.

                        Duck Haven Farm is owned by David E. Bryson, Sr., of Citra, FL and he specializes in naturally raising, processing and selling ducks. It began in 2000 as a hobby and now due to its success has expanded into a business. Currently he is producing 800 ducks a year but will increase to 20,000 a year. This seems remarkable but even more so when you realize that David is legally blind.

                        David became interested in duck farming after receiving a request by a Tampa processor to raise Muscovy ducks. At the time he had never heard of that particular breed of duck and after he did some research on the Internet, he discovered that there was a unique opportunity in raising ducks. Besides raising Muscovies for processing and mosquito control and Pekin ducks for processing, he also raises Rouens, Mallards, Indian Runners and Crested ducks for pets as well as the Indian Runners for eggs. Duck production is not considered the same as chicken and turkey production due to their unique taste, but is more closely associated with geese and guinea production. Due to the ease of raising ducks, market price advantage and disease resistance, ducks offer a better return on investment.

                        Duck Haven Farm's objectives for the next three years include:

                          a.. Increased development of the processed and live duck market for sale to the general public, wholesale businesses and restaurants.
                          b.. Educating the local community on the benefits of using ducks as a natural alternative to chemical pesticides.
                          c.. Expanding internet sales.
                        David feels the keys to the farm's success are:

                          a.. The continued need for live and processed ducks.
                          b.. The establishment of Duck Haven Farm as a single source for both live and processed ducks at an affordable price.
                          c.. The ability to keep the cost of raising ducks sufficiently low to maintain profitability.
                          d.. Knowledge and expertise in the field of duck farming.
                          e.. The ability to raise ducks in a natural habitat, free of any chemicals or other environmental hazards.
                        Duck Haven Farm will be able to produce ducks in a natural environment with no hormones, chemicals or additives. The combined ease of raising ducks, the desire for a naturally produced product and the need for ducks for mosquito control creates an ideal situation for a small farm.

                        If you are interested in learning more, you can contact David at 352-595-4148.

                        From Premier - David uses our netting in marshes to control the ducks and move them to new forage each day. We wish him and his employees the best of luck.

                        Click here for Premier's PoultryNet.

                        Click here for Premier netting for other species.

                  Return to top

                          - Reads 1 oz. increments
                          - Weighs up to a maximum of 50 lbs.
                          - Supplied with a 9v battery
                          - Memory for storing weights on up to 10 lambs/kids
                          - Face can be illuminated for night use
                          - Use Code: 04 Scale
                          - Good Thru Nov. 30, 2004

                        Use Code 04 Scale to get your special price when ordering the Digital Scale. If ordering from our website, enter 04 Scale in the "Catalog Key Code" box on the "Checkout" screen. The price will show $38, but will be adjusted to $35 when we process your order.

                        This is a new product in our 2005 "Equipment that Works" catalog coming the end of October. We've searched for a better scale that can be utilized by more people. We are pleased to be able to offer it at a lower price (normal catalog price will be $38). Works great in conjunction with our lamb and kid sling item #887600 (see photo above).

                        Click here to order our Digital Scale.

                        Click here for Health & Scale products from Premier

                  Return to top

                        PoultryNet

                        Arrives at your door as a 164 ft. (or 82 ft.) roll complete with end, corner and line posts. A prefabricated fence with black vertical strings every 3 in. welded to yellow electroplastic horizontals supported by white plastic posts every 9.5 ft. Horizontals are only 2 in. apart at chicken & predator heights providing a pain and a physical barrier. When energized, the result is an impenetrable (to poultry, raccoons, coyotes and dogs) mesh of energized wires, 42" tall.

                        A competing net promotes the mini-struts in their net as a plus in keeping poultry net upright. However all poultry nets are heavier than sheep and goat nets because of the many more horizontals and verticals thus their mini-struts are too small to offer support. What does help with PoultryNet is spacing the line posts closer, which is why our nets now space them less than 10' apart.

                        Click here for Premier's PoultryNet.

                        Customer Testimonial
                        Premier's Walk-Thru Feeders

                        Thought I would share some praise for your "Walk-Thru" feeders. I have been using a "livestock greenhouse" for the last three years. It is 30 x 48 and I had approximately 40 ft. of Premier Walk-Thru feeders down the length of the structure on both sides of an aisle way creating a large pen, hay storage and lamb pen. Last weeks ice storm created what could have been a devastating situation had it not been for your feeders. The ice build-up created such a heavy load that the roof caved in early Wednesday morning January 7th. There were 24 pregnant ewes and 7 replacement ewe lambs enclosed in the barn at the time. They would have been crushed had it not been for the feeders! Both horizontal as well as length wise roof supports and tons of ice came crashing down onto the feeders-stopping about 2 to 3 feet off the floor of the barn! Thank you for making such good feeder plans which in turn made such good feeders that they saved many a sheep's life. All pregnant girls came through without any visible injuries and they have taken it in stride. Just need to get the barn rebuilt so they have some place to lamb in a month. Thank you again, you are a great company!
                        Chris Bazant
                        Missing Creek Farm, Tualatin, OR

                        Click here for Premier's feeders.

                        Click here for Premier's Walk-Thru and Drive-By Feeder printable instructions.

                  Return to top

                        Chuck Longest

                        Chuck Longest, from here in Washington, is this month's featured employee who, as he says, is "Premier's One-Man IT Department." (IT can stand for many things, but he will explain that below.)

                        What he says he likes best about his position is "I take care of the technical stuff at Premier: the computers and network, telephones, fax, fire-alarm system, programming of the laser-machines that mark our ear tags, and the occasional jammed stapler. I also work in the R&D area doing tests on clippers, RFID tags, electric fences, etc. I suppose that what I like best about the position is that I'm doing work that I really enjoy... usually. We had a major computer crash a few weeks ago that probably doesn't belong in the "enjoy column."

                        What he likes best about Premier is "the atmosphere. I have been in the corporate world and do not like its dog-eat-dog rat-race of self-promoting politics. Premier has more of a family atmosphere."

                        Chuck has been with us for 7 1/2 years. He has two children, a son and a daughter, both of whom just got married last year. Chuck officiated at both ceremonies. His daughter just received her PhD in Psychology, and his son works in the computer department of a major hospital network. No pets. He loves animals but doesn't have time to take care of them right now.

                        He is very involved in his church. He says, "In fact I'm really kind of a religious fanatic, but the people at work here don't know that. I don't read much because if I find a book that I like I tend to ignore everything else until I finish it. My favorite subjects would generally be in the field of the 'credible' paranormal: UFOs, the spirit-world, and the like. The problem with that is that there is so much more 'garbage' out there than 'credible'. I am also a ham radio operator. There's something really cool about being able to sit at my desk and communicate (morse code is my favorite) with another guy (or gal) halfway around the world without any wires between us, without dependence on any intermediary such as the phone company or power company (I have a generator.), etc."

                        When asked what his favorite saying or statement would be, he said, "I wouldn't say that this is my 'favorite' statement, but surely a favorite. It's the reply of a Shao Lin priest in a scene from the old 'Kung Fu' TV series. The aging and blind priest (also a Kung Fu Master) is talking with young Caine and has just made a reference to a grasshopper that he can 'hear' at the boy's feet. The boy turns and looks to see that there is, indeed, a grasshopper at his feet. He says to the priest, "Old Man, how is it that you can hear the grasshopper at my feet?" The priest replies, "Young man, how is it that you cannot?"

                         Chuck is patient, detailed, open-minded and very interesting. He has been a tremendous asset to Premier and we know that if we have a computer problem he is just a "holler or phone page" away.

                  Return to top

                        M & M Bars

                        Ingredients:
                          - 1 cup and 2 tbsp. melted oleo
                          - 2 cups oatmeal
                          - 1-1/2 cups flour
                          - 1 cup brown sugar
                          - 1 tsp. baking soda
                          - 1 cup chocolate chips
                          - 1 can sweetened condensed milk
                          - Dash of salt
                          - Big bag of M & M's

                        Mix 1 cup melted oleo, oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and a dash of salt together and reserve 1-1/2 cups of mixture for top.

                        Spread the remainder on bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

                        Melt 2 tbsp. oleo with chocolate chips and stir in sweetened condensed milk. Spread over bottom and top with reserved oatmeal mixture and sprinkle M & M's on top. Bake 10 minutes more.

                  Return to top

           Request one of our FREE catalogs
                  Please contact us if you would like us to send a catalog to you or a friend which includes:

                  Fence Supplies for all Species - Sheep/Goats, Cattle, Horses, Poultry and Critter Control (deer, rabbits, woodchucks and raccoons).

                  Fence Supplies for Horses - Fences designed specifically for horses.

                  Equipment - Sheep and goats supplies, clipping, shearing and tags for all animals.

                  Clipping and Shearing - For sheep, goats, cattle, horses, llamas, alpacas, dogs and pigs. A wide range of large clippers, shearers, blades, combs and cutters. Also small clippers and blades.

                  Demo or Discontinued Items:

                  Demo or Discontinued - Sheep and Goat Supplies

                  Demo or Discontinued - Fencing

                  Demo or Discontinued - Clippers and Shearers

                  Visit us at the following shows:

                  NAILE, Louisville, KY, Nov. 5 - 19, 2004

                  Equine Affaire, Springfield, MA, Nov. 11 - 14, 2004
                  (See our fence dealer in Springfield: Wellscroft Fence.)

                  Equine Affaire, Columbus, OH, April 7 - 10, 2005

                  Mid-West Horse Fair, Madison, WI, April 15 - 17, 2005

                  Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival, Fredrick, MD, May 7 - 8, 2005

                  Mid-West Stud and Ram Sale, Sedalia, MO, June 21 - 25, 2005

                  Become part of our Newsletter!
                  We welcome your personal stories or ideas, which may be included in our future Newsletters.

                  Click here to submit your personal stories or ideas.

                  Next Issue!
                  Expect to see more tips, new product information and industry/general news from Premier. We will also feature another guest writer, Premier's employee profile and more quick and easy recipes.

            About this newsletter
            To get this newsletter in a different format (text, AOL, or HTML), change your e-mail address, or unsubscribe, please visit your profile page.

            Return to top

            Site Navigation:
            [ home ] [ sheep & goat supplies ] [ fencing ] [ clippers & shearers ] [ ear tags ] [ bulletin board ] [ shopping cart ] [ catalog request ]
             Copyright 2004, Premier1Supplies.
            Send questions and comments to [log in to unmask]
            To unsubscribe or change your e-mail address, please visit your profile page.
            If you know someone who like like to receive our newsletter, please use this link to forward a copy to them.

            This email was sent by: Premier 1 Supplies
            2031 300th Street Washington, IA, 52353, US

            800-282-6631