That's so sad and unfortuately so true. :-(
The Only Way Out Is Through
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Melody Batchelor
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 11:21 AM
  Subject: [FARMCOLLIE] Enlightening poem

  Do I Go Home Today

  My family brought me home cradled in their arms.
  They  cuddled me and smiled at me and said I was full of charm.
  They played with me  and laughed with me and showered me with toys.
  I sure do love my family,  especially the little girls and boys.

  The children loved to feed  me; they gave me special treats.
  They even let me sleep with them - all  snuggled in the sheets.
  I used to go for walks, often several times a  day.
  They even fought to hold the leash, I'm very proud to say.

  These are the things I'll not forget - a cherished  memory.
  I now live in the shelter - without my family.
  They used to laugh  and praise me when I played with that old shoe.
  But I didn't know the  difference between the old one and the new.

  The kids and I would grab a rag, for hours we would tug.
  So I  thought I did the right thing when I chewed the bedroom rug.
  They said that I  was out of control and would have to live outside.
  This I didn't understand,  although I tried and tried.

  The walks stopped, one  by one; they said they hadn't time.
  I wish that I could change things; I wish  I knew my crime.
  My life became so lonely in the backyard, on a chain.
  I  barked and barked all day long to keep from going insane.

  So they brought me to  the shelter but were embarrassed to say why.
  They said I caused an allergy,  and then they each kissed me good-bye.
  If I'd only had some training as a  little pup.
  I wouldn't have been so hard to handle when I was all grown  up.

  "You only have one day  left",
  I heard the worker say.
  Does that mean I have a second  chance?
  Do I go home today?