I don't know if I misread the post but I didn't see where Zoe said her dog
killed a chicken (only a lasagna noodle LOL).  Just that she appears to want
to snap at the chicks, a response well within the realm of normal - poultry
seem to illicit this response even in farmcollies.  Dogs need to be taught
how to respond.

We raise meat chicks every year (as well as free range poultry) and I don't
worry about my dogs.  I do what Rini described and hold a chick and sweet
talk to it in the dogs presence.  I tell the dog this is a *baby* and to be
nice.  As long as they show gentle interest they are allowed to sniff and
are praised, if they are too rough or show predatory behavior, I correct
them with a hard stare and a strong AAAGGHH! and remove access to the chick
by standing up or turning my back.  Repeat as necessary with each dog
seperately giving them lots of opportunities to get it right.  Several
sessions a day is good.  I go through this routine of introductions with
each new batch of chicks (or any new animal coming on the farm) even if the
dog is old and reliable.  The old reliable ones just nod and smile LOL.

I just got 50 meat chicks last week.  I took my 18 month old ES to pick them
up.  This a dog with a pretty high drive who is death on varmints but who
also has a good nurturing nature lurking underneath that tough exterior. She
also has a strong desire to please and acknowledges me as the leader.  She
had exposure to chicks last year as well.  I did the intro. routine in the
car and noting her reaction (gentle interest bordering on calm and blase)
decided I would leave her and the box of chicks in the car while I stopped
at the grocery store.  Part of me wondered if I would come out to a tragedy,
but I didn't LOL.  She was curled up on the seat and the chicks were peeping
in the box.  Good girl.   BTW, this dog had a learning curve and killed a
chicken in the youthful passion of adolescence  but she's most certainly not
a hopeless case ;-)

So much of it is about management and proper supervision; not setting your
dog up to fail but giving them ways to succeed so you can mold their
behavior and teach them what is acceptable.  And helping your dog understand
through everyday training that you are the leader of the pack.  I have
another post on the subject of corrections in regards to poutry/dogs that I
will send shortly.

Amy
Good Shepherd Farm
http://goodshepherdfarm.net