Hi there Jennifer,

First, I'd like to say that I have occasionally visited your website to take
a look at your wonderful dogs.  I'm very impressed with what your breedings
have accomplished; the dogs are gorgeous.

I'm very sorry to hear Tyson is not doing well.  My older dog, Thunder (16
years), is Cushingoid.  Although Cushing's is not as serious as cancer, I
understand your deep concern for your sweet pal's health.  I am a research
biologist, but I have not done any work with cancerous tissue; however, I do
remember one or two things from lectures I have attended in the past.  There
seems to be a consensus in the scientific community that cancerous cells
thrive in an acidic environment.  And many of the foods us humans eat (e.g.
cheese, milk, beef,) contribute to the acidity of our bodies.  Although
moving the pH of the body from acidic to more alkaline will not be able to
cure cancer, it is likely that it would be helpful in alleviating some of
the symptoms and possibly help with slowing the growth of tumors.  An
example of an alkaline diet would be one containing such things as numerous
fresh fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

The information I have provided above was spoken to me in regard to humans,
but the same approach may be just as valid for canines since the biochemical
pathways are not extremely different.  Now, I have mentioned that cancerous
cells enjoy an acidic environment.  This occurs very much so when excessive
amounts of protein are present in the body.  I'm sure you've noticed
that organisms with cancer become weak.  This is caused by many things, but
the main cause can be contributed to the fact the the cancerous cells use
protein that the body needs.  So, the trick is controlling the amount of
protein such that the body has enough to use without giving the cancer cells
a free buffet.  Cancer cells do not make a huge use of omega-3 fatty acids.
Since fish is a great source of such fats and a moderate amount of protein,
a diet containing something like salmon may be a good choice.

I do not know how well these approaches will work.  And before taking this
advice be sure to run it by your vet.  I'm not sure where the thresholds of
such dieting stand for a dog.  Anyway, to sum up my advice: look for
supplements and/or a diet that will make the body more alkaline.  Avoid
excessive levels of proteins, but make use of good fats such as omega-3's.
Also, it may be worthwhile to go to google scholar and type in keywords such
as cancer, acidic, and alkaline.  You may find many reliable papers that
have been peer-reviewed and published in scientific journals with results
that are useful to you.

I hope this helps.

Andrew.