 Bernese MNN Dogs (my breed)   are VERY affected with hip dysplasia

 the odds being at least one in a litter or if you have none in a litter the next litter will all fail etc....the numbers are out there.   Let me remind you that over 78 % of those deemed "dysplastic"  either hips or elbows. NEVER LIMP!  NEVER go clinical at all..... So ONLY xrays tell you this information no matter what others tell you....

And I agree whole HEARTEDLY with---- its all in the positioning... and the LABELLING of the films... now require micro-chippiong etc... so BEST if your vet is super (UBER) informed on all of it.... EVERY BIT..... prior to the films being taken.... Under 2 years old they get a prelim report. over 2 years old it stands for their life.... I am a vet tech who LEARNED how to position dogs and we took MANY a film on Many a dog prior to getting the SHOT for submittal... find someone who is committed to doing this with you!!

My puppy owners sign a contract and one clause in our contract is....... that EACH pup will have OFA hips and ELBOW films DONE and they will check OPEN registry on the forms between the ages of 6 months (a prelim) and by the time the dog is 30 months old.  PERIOD.  I remind them all at the age of 2 (when I am doing anyone I have kept from the litter) and offer to send them in as a group at that time.. (there is a deal for this-- see OFA forms) so I gather the last or any hopefull breeding dogs films prior to sending them in as a group...once the litter is 2.  people can opt to do films sooner or later.... Up to them.. I offer ONE time and give them a month to submit to me.......the films get mailed to me....  I get to look at all of them, then submit as a group as breeder of the litter....

If they opt to spay or neuter their pup..... the films can be taken at that time --over 6 months old. Less money and the dog is already anesthetized.....  My buyers dont fight with me about this at all.  They are concerned that they may have the dysplastic pup in the litter from the get go.  They understand that I am CAREFUL but cannot predict who will clear and who wont.  Believe me it is a KILLER when the pick of the litter who is a Champion and they are lining up to breed to him for his temperament, type, and movement comes back dysplastic....  he is then OUT of my breeding program... it has happened.... but, with the TRUTH known... he still got to live the life or RILEY   long lived never limping and happy as a NEUTERED pet with his show home...

So, people... the TRUTH is the way to go.......    I cannot blame anyone who does clearances. I mean who has their litters checked, for going forward and breeding the dogs that dont pass, as LONG AS THEY are informed and know the OFA status of the single dog, and that of his parents, sibling, FAMILY......

I do think we should continue to breed the dogs, NOT THE XRAYS, but only going forward with the knowledge and OPEN REGISTRY is going to help get rid of genetic dysplasia.   Many forms of dysplasia are caused by other things as well.........  RUNNING with a BMD pup who is growing is a horrible idea!  Running him or her next to your bike even worse.  Feeding to high protein and fat can also cause many dysplasia...

anyway, I appreciate all you good breeders are trying to accomplish here...... and i still say   breed the dogs not the xrays--, but PLEASE at least know what the xrays ARE prior to breeding!!!  Be informed!  Continue on in a good way.  Try your best.  Be careful who you place with etc etc etc...