-----Original Message-----
From: Farm Collie Breed Conservancy and Restoration
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Allison Moss-Fritch
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FARMCOLLIE] something new--a question

I have a question---

Most of you on this list raise ES, but you refer to these animals as "Farm
Collies"..which I knew and well remember from my childhood.  We must have
had 30 or so working farm shepherds, just called, "coalies, collies, or
Scotch collies".variously depending on who was speaking.  There were
variants on this general type of dog, with Basque versions following their
shepherds at heel...and our own dogs behind us.

ES is not quite what I remember---though I can't tell you exactly where it
is different.  The "Scotch collies" looked sort of like Lassie but smaller
with a more open, silky coat, and a MUCH broader head with a marked stop and
no "rat snout" as is so often seen today.  I remember either folded or tulip
ears---but mostly I remember the behavior which was NOT border collie like,
but much more relaxed and gently droving.

So are you breeders maintaining ES separately from your farm colllies?  Are
you interbreeding?  How is this organized?

Allison

Allison E. Moss-Fritch

New Moon Alpacas

350 Cloquallum Road

Elma, WA  98541-9440

360/861-8584 home; cell 360/470-9317

http://www.newmoonalpacas.com <http://www.newmoonalpacas.com/>

From: Mary Peaslee <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 2:52 PM

I've only heard the term used in reference to Cavalier King Charles
Spaniels, but the phenomenon (color spot on the forehead/top of skull)
happens in a lot of breeds with white markings... I'd have to review my
embryology ;-), but I believe there are basically three embryonic groups of
melanocytes that fan out to produce pigment on the head of the dog -- one
around each ear and one in the middle of the forehead.  In dogs with white
spotting, those melanocytes don't cover as much of the surface of the dog...
when white areas are larger, the pigmented areas recede in a somewhat
predictable manner (ie, the tip of the muzzle is the last area to get
pigment as the melanocytes migrate, and the first to lose it when a dog
inherits the gene for white spotting ;-).  When there is a lot of white on
the head, you may see little "islands" of pigmented fur around the ears and
in the middle of the forehead corresponding to the 3 "original" pools of
pigment producing cells... the melanocytes in those dogs don't migrate very
far from their location of origin ;-).  For whatever reason, the Spaniel
people decided to name that forehead spot.

Mary

On Sep 4, 2012, at 2:13 PM, M.L. Church wrote:

I don't mean I don't see the spot, my eyes aren't that bad - I just don't
understand the reference.

<http:[log in to unmask]> >

From: Mary Peaslee <[log in to unmask]
<http:[log in to unmask]> >
To: [log in to unmask]
<http:[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 1:55 PM

Ginger Busta's new pup from Carol Greet has one as well... I don't think
Ginger will mind if I attach a photo she recently shared.  Very cute pair
:-).  The big guy, Tank, is from Kris Hazelbaker's Mace and Sue Hagle's
Mona.

Mary

<TankandLark.jpg>

On Sep 4, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Rini wrote:

Very gratifying.

And it looks like one of the pups has a Blemheim spot on the top of his
blaze; it's the only one I've ever seen on an ES except for Robbie.

Rini

	<Sept3-bellepups.jpg>