I'm with Tamara - our McNab Pepper had a very think undercoat and liked to swim.  One warm spring, she was in and out of the creek so much that her undercoat felted.  It was a mess - clipping was the only answer.  She looked (and acted) like a puppy for several months after it was done - I think she was much more comfortable, moved easier, kept cleaner, and was happier.

ML
From: Tamara Rousso <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 7:36 AM
Subject: Re: [FARMCOLLIE] Clipping a rough collie???

Clip him! We have a Sheltie that we clip every spring because her coat is so thick and she hates having burrs brushed out. The change in her personality with clipping is remarkable and if she didn't need a coat for winter I would probably keep her clipped all year. She becomes much more animated once clipped. We also clip our Livestock Guardian Dogs in the spring that have a heavy coat. Same thing - they seem overjoyed at the loss of heavy coat.

Tamara slave to Jabari and his 7 friends
Applegate OR

On Feb 11, 2013, at 12:45 AM, Jennifer WhiteWolf Crock wrote:

Greetings FARMCOLLIE list folks....

I need some opinions about clipping my elderly Rough Collie TahTay.  The past few months he had been blowing inner coat like crazy, and at the same time developing a sensitive skin such that he REALLY complains when trying to brush it out.  It has become the worst I have ever seen, with mats developing that have no hope of brushing out. I have taken to just cutting them off, especially around his rear and thighs. He cannot hunch over to poo any more, nor can he lift his leg to do the other duty...he just stands on all four and does what needs doing. This has led to keeping his rear pretty well clipped to aid in dropping of scat.  With so much of his underside and legs becoming more matted all the time, and his discomfort with our brushing it out, to the point of yelping and trying to jump away, I have started to consider clipping him down. He has never been clipped before, and he would for a while look like a smooth collie!!  but it may be a good way to give his skin some ai!
r and freedom from snarl stress. He spends most of his time inside these days, so having a thick coat for outdoor weather is not much of a concern. What is of concern, to me at least, is improving his comfort by getting rid of snarled hair, and improving his cleanliness. Matted hair cannot be bathed properly.  If we do end up clipping him we will likely do it here at home. I have a Yorkshire Terrier breeder just 3 doors up....she has power clippers with attachments for grooming, and knows TayTay well. We would clip him at home in a safe surroundings. I do worry a little about his living long enough to grow out a full coat again, but the real motivation is making him more comfortable and his skin healthier, as he is NOT going into any show ring!

I am looking for opinions about clipping ....yea or nea, and reasons for or against. If there is a significant reason not to, I will be doing my level best to scissor trim and hand brush a little more each day to try and get all the way around him, and to stay ahead of it from there, but it will be LOT of discomfort for him, and in his lowered condition due to age and stroke, I don't really want to stress him. I can't help but think it will be easier for him if he give him a haircut and then make sure we keep up on brushing out the bushiness as it grows back.  Ever since last summer, his coat has been a difficult problem....blowing inner fur like mad out of season, then stopping, then doing it again. Poor boy has been all confused about hair, and his skin has become very sensitive to hair tug or pulling such as occurs with brushing and worse when de-tanging or de-matting.

On another note: I saw a special on TV about giving fish oil to human patients that had suffered brain damage from either trauma or stroke, that lead to coma...and in 2 experimental cases, the people given large doses of fish oil came out of their comas and have regained the ability to talk and walk. I thought that I would try it with TahTay, though not in a coma, he has suffered some brain dysfunction that was causing his rear to walk over to one side, and to have much weaker muscle control. We have had him on fish oil about a month now, along with pure unhydrogenated coconut oil. After about 2 weeks he started walking less diagonal, and has been up and walking about many more hours in the typical day. He is still lower strength, but has regained enough to climb stairs again, something he became unable to do about 4 months ago.  a few days ago when we had some sunshine, we even went outside and walked up the mound of dirt we have for the dogs. He had not been able to do tha!
t since autumn!
At least we are seeing some small improvements in his overall condition.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on the clipping subject...
Jennifer Crock