I'm following this line - just bailed the Schnoop out of the vet's, attack of pancreatitis.  Apparently is something that Schnauzers are known for.

ML
From: Jennifer WhiteWolf Crock <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [FARMCOLLIE] Jennifer-fish oil RE: Dovey pancreatitis

I just did a quick search on supplements for the pancreas as it will be a few days before I can chat with my Dr friend...Now please remember, not everything that works in humans works the same in dogs, and the other way around too, some things that are good for us are outright dangerous for our K-9s.....so check with a Veterinarian....but this may be a key to helping her... and for what its worth, my dogs are all on multi-vitamin supplements and once a week live culture yugurt for pro-biotics..and it seems to help them all...we started everyone on this after Java got diabetes and TayTay had his old age problems...

University of Maryland Medical Center
Nutritional deficiencies in patients with pancreatitis may be addressed by intake of a multivitamin, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Patients should take a multivitamin containing vitamin A, C, E, D and B-vitamins and trace minerals such as magnesium, calcium, selenium and zinc. Patients should take multivitamins with food to increase absorption of nutrients.
Vitamin C: Patients with pancreas disorders may also benefit from vitamin C supplements, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps prevent further damage to the pancreas. Vitamin C also promotes the healing of the pancreas. Excess intake of vitamin C may cause diarrhea. Probiotics are live microorganisms similar to beneficial bacteria found in the human gut. Probiotics supplements containing lactobacillus acidophilus and other bacteria may improve the health of the pancreas and the digestive system, according to University of Maryland Medical Center. Patients should take 5 to 10 colony-forming units of probiotics daily.

Its a start anyway....

Jennifer Crock

On 02/14/2013 09:37 PM, Jennifer WhiteWolf Crock wrote:
I would think that about half a capsule would be just fine, or they may have lower dose caps that you could just put in her food. We are talking only a few CC of liquid oil here, not much compared to even leaned up/fat trimmed cuts of meat, which will have a lot more fat.

 Is she on any supplements to aid her pancreas? There might be something that could help....I'll check with my M.D. in Reno that also incorporates Accupuncture [ for which he earned a Specialtyl Degree studying in both China and in the USA ]  and nutrients and supplements [ again, more addidtional University ] into his medical practice. He is a good friend, I wish he was closer to where I live so he could be my regular Dr. but he always has good advice. I'll ask him about pancreas and mention also that it is for K-9....He might have some useful general advice.

Jennifer

.

On 02/14/2013 08:20 PM, Dotty Harala wrote:
Thank you! I will have to be careful with Dovey as she is on a low-fat diet (history of pancreatitis), but may try a very small amount and see what happens..
Dotty
Hi Dotty, and everyone...
We use a soft fish oil capsule that we buy at GNC nutrition centers, which are a nationwide chain and also have on-line shopping. We just drop in at a local storefront and buy many of our supplements there, including the fish oil in capsules, and the coconut oil that I mentioned before in another post, which comes in pint jars or quart jars. The brand of Fish oil capsules is GNC house brand, labeled as "Triple Strength Fish Oil 1500" in a bottle of 120 capsules. it has