Date:    Tue, 29 Apr 1997 06:18:38 EDT
From:    Patricia J Beran <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Canine Genetics Seminar!

Hi Friends,
Look what I found in my UKC Hunting Retriever Magazine!

     A 2 day seminar Canine Genetics, will be held on the Cornell
University campus in Ithaca, NY Sat & Sun Oct 4 & 5, 1997.  This
intensive short course is designed for the dog breeder, vet tech and
others with a serious interest in the subject.
     The seminar will be taught by faculty and staff members of Cornell
University, The State University of NY at Cobleskill, and The Seeing
Eye,
Inc.  The instructors from Cornell are Dr Pascal Oltenacu and Dr John
Pollak, professors of Animal Breeding and Genetics in the Dept of Animal
Science; Dr Gustavo Aquirre, director, and Dr Gregory Acland, senior
research associate, of the Center for Canine Genetics and Reproduction
at
the Baker Institute; and Dr Marjory Brooks, associate director of the
Comparative Coagulation Section at the Diagnostic Laboratory.  The
visiting instructors are Dr Steven Mackenzie, professor of animal
science
at SUNY, Cobleskill; and Dr Eldin Leighton, director of canine genetics
at The Seeing Eye , Inc.
     Topics to be covered include: basic genetics principles,
recognition
and control of inherited eye diseases and bleeding disorders,
inheritance
of coat color, canine behavioral genetics, and results from a breeding
program to improve guide dogs' hip quality, trainability, and general
health. The program will also look at the WWW as a resource for canine
genetic information.
     The program charge is $285 and includes tuition, course materials,
meals and a Cornell University certificate of completion.
     For more information, contact: Canine Study Programs, Box 972,
Cornell University, B20 Day Hall, Ithaca, NY  14853-2801
     Ph: 607-255-7259,   FAX: 607-255-8942,    email: [log in to unmask]

Sounds like just what I've been waiting for!
Tollingly,
Patty