At 4:43 PM -0400 4/26/99, Dean Mair wrote:

>Hopefully you meant "dogs with it should not be used in breeding."

        correct - I have a small problem with fingers that can't keep up
with my brain...

>There are two forms of PRA, Generalized and Centralized (sometimes called
>CPRA). In the former, it often starts as night blindness and leads to total
>blindness. CPRA may not lead to total blindness but rather a loss in the
>ability to see stationary object close to them.
>I don't believe eye exams at 2 will always determine if the dogs has PRA.
>I've heard that clinical signs may not be present until as late as 5 years
>old.

        I got this from the collie club of America site which gave the 2
year mark for a BCO (Board Certified Opthamalogist) to be able to see it
during an eye exam....

> But how many breeders
>are getting exams? Even if they are getting exams, does that mean
>everything is ok? Gina heard from a breeder who was breeding, with the
>concurrence of their vet optho., mildly affected dogs. Then she had a
>really bad litter
>of affected. Apparently the odds caught up with her.

        so in this regard it is like the folks with dogs who have never had
hip problems saying their dogs are all okay... odds are pretty good the bad
genes will catch up to you....

>Soapbox time. If you are looking for a companion dog and not interested in
>breeding, I would look for a breeder actively working health issues. That
>does not mean someone who is going for a look now and will get to health
>later.

        I'm a firm believer that health is more important than looks but as
the casual puppy buyer I think CHD would scare me more than CEA, maybe
because CHD is more prevalent or because the effects are often more obviousl
        But the fact that CEA can be totally elimianted while CHD is so
multifactored that it may always exist certainly puts a lot of weight on
getting rid of CEA first. One less thing to worry about.

        Good point about the fact that the website was not created by
disinterested parties....

                        jan