----- Original Message -----
From: Susan Shott <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 1999 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: Chocolate, Onions & Garlic

>    Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of
>    chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz
>    and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600
>    mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and
>    other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body
>    weight no deaths have been observed.

Perhaps this would explain why a dog eating a big chunk of chocolate cake,
at least if it's milk chocolate, would not be affected.  I remember being
told by a veterinarian that a small amount of chocolate will not harm a dog,
but he did not say how much was too much.  Only that "alot" of chocolate
would be harmful. Thanks for this info--it's very helpful!